Bicycling in New York City is a way of life here in the Bronx. People ride to work or school, make deliveries, and ride for pleasure. With all the cars on the road, it is inevitable that collisions with bikes will take place. A bicyclist can get seriously injured in a crash with a car, truck, or bus.
If you are injured in a bicycle accident in the Bronx, you should get advice from a serious injury law firm. You should also consider the benefits of working with a bicycle accident lawyer serving the Bronx. When Dansker & Aspromonte Associates takes care of your case, you get to focus your attention and energy on getting better while we work to obtain the highest possible recovery for you.
You can call us today at (212) 732-2929 for a free case evaluation.
Types of Compensation You Can Get for Your Injury Claim
Some of the types of recovery that we pursue are:
- Pain and suffering: An injured person is entitled to recover money damages for all the injuries that were suffered from the time of the accident and for what will continue into the future and for all permanent injuries. Some permanent injuries are scarring, limps, paralysis, loss of limbs and brain damage
- Medical expenses: A claimant can recover the cost of treatment needed for their injuries. Emergency transportation services, hospital stays, lab tests, doctors, and prescription drugs all qualify as these types of losses.
- Lost wages: If a person misses time from work without pay, the lost income can be recovered.
- Long-term care: Paralysis from spinal cord damage or another catastrophic injury can leave a person in need of daily assistance with extensive medical treatment and personal care.
- Decreased earning capacity: If a person sustains long-term impairment from the injuries, it might not be possible to work the same number of hours or work the same job as before. It can be compensable when a person has to work fewer hours or take a lower-paying position because of injuries from an accident.
- Other non-economic losses: Depending on the situation, a person could have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), permanent scars, or other intangible damages. We can calculate the dollar value of these things for your injury claim. Usually, the extent of your physical injuries will determine how much you can collect for these losses.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Bronx, call (212) 732-2929
What We Have to Prove
The law requires that we be able to establish the four of elements of liability:
- Duty of care: The person who caused the accident must have owed you a duty of care. The NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1146 obligates drivers to exercise due care, meaning that everyone who drives a car, truck, motorcycle, or another vehicle on public streets has a responsibility to drive carefully to avoid harming others.
- Breach of duty: It is negligence when a person’s conduct does not meet the legal standard. For example, the at-fault driver was not paying attention to the road because he was texting. This action breaches his duty of care by putting others at risk of harm.
- Causation: The careless act must be the reason that caused or contributed to the accident that injured you. If the driver took his eyes off the road and veered out of his lane into the bike lane where he struck you, that driver’s negligence caused the crash.
- Damages: You must have quantifiable losses or injuries to pursue a personal injury case seeking financial compensation. In a motor vehicle case such as a bicycle accident, the injury must rise to the level of a serious injury under the law.
After the bicycle accident lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte serving the Bronx prove all of these factors, we can pursue money damages on your behalf.
Evidence That Can Help Prove Your Bicycle Accident Case
We will have to show that another party’s negligence caused the accident that injured you. Also, we have to establish the extent and severity of the harm you sustained and how those injuries affected your life.
The evidence we use can vary from one case to the next, depending on the unique facts of your situation.
Here are some examples of witnesses and documents that can be useful in these cases:
- Eyewitnesses who were present at the accident scene can provide helpful information as to the elements surrounding your collision. Our goal is to get their testimony in writing as soon as possible so that details are not lost to time.
- Accident reconstruction experts can use physics to determine what led up to the collision. These experts can be especially helpful if the at-fault party’s version of what happened is not truthful.
- If law enforcement personnel came to the scene of the crash, there will likely be an accident report. These documents can provide a wealth of information that aids us in establishing liability. The police often include statements about who was at fault, which can be helpful in the negotiation process.
- Your medical records can provide details about every injury you suffered, the treatment you underwent, and how well your body healed. The records of the emergency room, hospital, and doctors establish the link between your injuries and the accident.
During the course of our investigation, we may be able to identify many other useful forms of evidence such as prior accidents in the same location, proof that the motor vehicle operator was driving while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance, street light video cameras that may have captured the accident, proof that the vehicle’s brakes were faulty and more that we have not listed here. You can call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929 today for a free consultation.
According to Article 2 of CPLR Section 214, of the Consolidated Laws of New York, New York sets a three-year period from the date of your bicycle accident to file a lawsuit. Under certain circumstances, this time may be much shorter and if you do not act within the right period of time, you could lose your right to recover any compensation.
Bronx Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
Our goal is to seek the best possible outcome for our clients and their families. When we represent you, we immediately implement a plan of action that is designed to get you the full financial recovery you deserve.
We work on contingency, which means that you do not pay a fee for our services until we win your case.
To get started with a free, no-obligation case review and have all your questions answered, call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929.