According to the National Safety Council (NSC), school bus-related accidents alone took the lives of 117 Americans in 2018 and caused injuries to thousands. In addition to incidents involving school buses, serious and life-threatening injuries can result from accidents involving commercial buses, city buses, and tour buses in the Bronx.
The roads in New York City are clogged with buses of all types every day. New York City’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) or Transit Authority (NYCTA) buses are involved in multiple accidents every year . In fact, the New York Post reported at least 21,823 crashes involving MTA buses in New York City between 2015 and 2018. The report also detailed 14 deaths that occurred during this stretch, along with at least 180 accidents involving school buses. Private buses are also involved in collisions and other accidents with unfortunate frequency.
Millions of New Yorkers ride buses each day in the Bronx and the surrounding boroughs, which can put many people at risk of bus accidents. Buses are large vehicles that can cause severe damages when involved in accidents with passenger vehicles or pedestrians.
There Are Many Types of Bus Accidents
A bus accident can involve many different circumstances. Some examples of a bus accident that may result in a claim for personal injuries include:
- Bus involved in a collision with another vehicle, bicycle or other means of transportation
- Bus stops short or drives erratically causing injury to passenger
- Bus strikes a fixed object such as a curb or pole causing injury to passenger
- Bus strikes a pedestrian on the road or sidewalk
- Bus allows a passenger to exit the bus at a dangerous location causing a trip or slip and fall
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in any type of Bronx bus accident, call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation.
You Can Afford Legal Help
Many injury victims fail to seek legal help because they assume they will need to pay a lawyer money upfront . This is untrue. Our firm accepts cases on a contingency-fee basis, which means we advance all the expenses related to your case and receive no legal fees unless and until you recover compensation. If your case is unsuccessful, you do not pay us any legal fees.
Steps to Take Following a Bronx Bus Accident
If you are involved in any accident, it is important to report your injuries to the bus operator or police and seek medical attention immediately so that your injuries can be documented.
Once you have received medical attention, contact the lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates as soon as possible. An immediate investigation of your claim is necessary because of certain filing deadlines and the need to secure evidence before it is gone forever.
Building a Bus Accident Personal Injury Case
Once you have retained us, our team of bus accident lawyers can begin to investigate your claim by identifying the responsible parties, securing evidence, filing all necessary claims documents and establishing the full extent of your injuries. We will use our decades of experience fighting for injury victims to build your case by doing the following:
- Obtaining copies of all police, incident and accident reports
- Securing statements of all witnesses and video footage
- Conducting a site visit and taking photographs
- Consulting with accident reconstruction experts
- Examining the vehicles involved in the crash
- Checking cell phone data for potential distracted driving
- Gathering physical evidence including drivers’ log book
- Obtaining sworn statements from all involved drivers
- Requesting all EMS, hospital and medical records
Call us today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation to discuss your options.
Potential Bus Accident Causes
Because buses are such heavy and large vehicles, those who drive them must do so with utmost care. There are several ways in which a bus driver or other vehicle operator can cause an accident:
- Distracted driving
- Failing to yield
- Aggressive driving
- DUI or DWI
- Inexperienced driving
- Failing to look carefully for pedestrians or other objects on the roadway
- Making unsafe turns or other movements into traffic
- Operating a bus with serious defects including non-working brakes, missing mirrors or steering failure
In most cases, the careless or unsafe driving of a bus driver is also the responsibility of the bus owner or employer. In other cases, the bus owner or employer may be directly liable for an accident if the bus driver failed to receive proper training, failed to inspect the bus properly, allowed driving of buses in poor condition, or allowed drivers to work dangerously long hours.
Our team will investigate the cause of the accident and determine the parties responsible to compensate you for your injuries.
Fight for Financial Compensation with a Bronx Bus Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one in the Bronx has been involved in a bus accident, call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929. If your injuries were caused by the fault of another, we will fight to ensure that you receive the just and fair compensation you deserve for each and every aspect of your damages including:
- Pain and suffering for all of your physical and emotional injuries
- Mental anguish
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Future lost wages
- Out of pocket expenses
- Future damages
Your time to bring a claim for your injuries is limited. If you fail to bring your claim within that deadline, you may be forever barred from receiving the financial compensation to which you are entitled. Don’t delay. Call us today.