Unfortunately, nursing home abuse is common throughout New York. If you or a loved one suffered injuries while staying at a nursing home, let our team hold guilty parties accountable. Let us protect your legal rights while we fight to see that justice is served.
The Bronx nursing home abuse attorneys at Dansker & Aspromonte provide top-tier legal representation to all types of abuse victims. Contact us now to have one of our qualified experts review your abuse claim.
We Fight for Nursing Home Abuse Victims in The Bronx
Nursing home residents are vulnerable to all types of abuse, whether it be physical trauma or neglect. While many long-term care facilities provide safe and comfortable environments, others do not. And when this occurs, an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer needs to take legal action.
The New York Department of Health provides a list of rights that all nursing home residents have, and the responsibilities nursing home facilities must implement. They include:
- Providing a comfortable living environment
- Safeguarding a resident’s property and money
- Implementing complaint procedures
- Allowing residents to choose their schedule and participate in activities that interest them
- Giving residents the freedom to make independent decisions
- Providing quality care without discrimination
- Allowing visitors
- Informing residents of all services and fees before joining the home
- Keeping residents free from restraints
- Allowing residents to exercise their rights without fear of retaliation
- Preventing all forms of financial, verbal, sexual, mental, and physical abuse
If a nursing home or its staff fails to uphold its duty of care, our team will hold them liable. Our Bronx abuse lawyers determine if their negligence resulted in preventable injuries and make sure you receive a fair settlement for the damages that result.
Your Rights as a New York Nursing Home Resident
Nursing homes must have protocols in place to ensure that sufficient medical care is available to prevent harm. The more vulnerable the resident, the more protections they should receive to deter abuse or neglect.
When a facility does not respect resident rights and injuries occur, it creates the grounds for a nursing home abuse claim. Examples include failing to:
- Prevent bedsores or pressure ulcers
- Provide adequate living assistance (such as cleaning bedsheets and doing laundry)
- Properly supervise residents
- Provide healthy and appropriate nutrition
- Supply correct medication to residents
- Clean spills or remove tripping hazards
If you suspect that a fall or other injury has occurred, you have the right to take legal action against the nursing facility or its staff. Our team of nursing home attorneys will gather evidence to support your claim and hold liable parties accountable for their negligent or abusive behaviors.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving Bronx, call (212) 732-2929
How We Prove Liability in a Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit
Nursing home abuse can stem from an individual staff member, multiple nursing home employees, or a nursing home facility.
To establish fault and secure compensation for your mental and physical injuries, the lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte will:
- Obtain nursing home records and documents
- Gather medical records
- Consult with New York medical professionals
- Visit the nursing home to assess its living conditions
- Interview the victim
- Gather witness statements from other residents, visitors, or staff members
- Calculate economic and non-economic damages
- Present evidence to the liable party and demand a fair settlement
- Represent you or your loved one during a trial (if necessary)
If you are unsure who is at fault for your nursing home abuse claim, our lawyers can help. We will evaluate your case to determine liability and prove how their negligence caused you or your loved one harm.
Bronx Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse Claims We Pursue
Our decades of serving the Bronx have given our legal team valuable experience representing various nursing home abuse clients. We have successfully recovered settlements for sexual, physical, emotional, and financial abuse claims, and we are prepared to do the same for you or your loved one.
Nursing home sexual abuse can come from employees, third-party workers (such as maintenance crew members), or another resident. It includes:
- Sexual harassment
- Unwanted sexual attention
- Forced sexual activity with someone is unable to give legal consent
For example, a resident with advanced Alzheimer’s disease might lack the ability to provide sexual consent. If the nursing home is aware of this but does nothing to stop the sexual abuse, they can be held liable.
Financial abuse is the most prevalent form of elder abuse. CNBC reports that older Americans lose over $3 billion a year in financial exploitation.
Examples of financial abuse that takes place in nursing homes include:
- Theft of cash, checkbooks, credit cards, or personal belongings from a resident’s room
- Misuse of resident money
- Tricking residents into giving away money (usually for illegitimate charities)
- Identify theft
- Threatening residents into transferring money
It can be challenging to get money or assets back from a thief. But when you hire our law firm, our Bronx nursing home abuse lawyers do everything they can to hold the financial abuser accountable.
Emotional abuse is any action that causes psychological or mental harm to another person. In a nursing home, emotional abusers will make residents feel:
Proving emotional abuse can be difficult, but our attorneys know the common signs to look for. We analyze the situation and use witness statements to demonstrate how an abuser inflicted emotional trauma.
Any intentional act that causes physical harm is abuse. The conduct does not have to leave a mark to constitute abuse.
Examples of physical nursing home abuse include:
- Misuse of restraints: Restraining residents for disciplinary purposes.
- Active abuse: Physically pushing, slapping, punching, kicking, or causing intentional harm to a nursing home resident.
- Physical neglect: Not providing the necessary food, clothing, or sanitary environment a resident needs to survive.
Unexplained injuries like scars, bruises, fractures, and bedsores are signs your loved one may be suffering from physical abuse. If you are concerned, our elder abuse lawyers will take action.
We Never Charge Fees Until You Win Your Abuse Claim
When you hire our law firm, you receive a team that is committed to your case and will fight tirelessly on your behalf. We accept no fees upfront and only recover a legal fee when you recover compensation.
Our fee structure makes clients feel confident in our dedication to their claim, and they know we will never settle for compensation that is less than what their injuries merit. As a result, in our decades of fighting for injury victims, we have acquired millions in settlements and verdicts for Bronx victims. For a list of our accomplishments, refer to our list of successful verdicts.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get Help From Our Bronx Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Now
If you or a loved one is suffering from negligence or abuse, you are not alone. One of our qualified nursing home abuse attorneys in the Bronx is ready to fight for you and your family and get you the financial compensation you deserve.
Contact the nursing home abuse lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates now to schedule a free nursing home abuse claim review. We will evaluate your damages and protect your rights to a fair recovery. Call today at (212) 732-2929.