Turning left may involve crossing one or more lanes of traffic, and can be the direct cause of an accident if not performed with care. The Insurance Information Institute (III) notes that improper left turns accounted for 635 traffic deaths in 2018 in addition to thousands of other serious injuries.
Whether you were another driver, passenger, bicyclist, or pedestrian, a dangerous or unsafe left turn is a common cause of serious injuries. If you have suffered damages as a result of driver negligence, New York law permits you to demand fair and just financial compensation for each and every type of damage you sustained including money for your pain and suffering as well as any economic damage that resulted. Our Brooklyn left turn accident lawyers have decades of experience fighting for victims just like you.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation about your case.
Common Causes of Left Turn Accident Cases
The congested roadways in the New York City region present multiple challenges to the average driver caused by conditions including vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic, noise, roadway construction, buses, and taxis moving into and out of the flow of traffic, and many others. These hazards require careful driving in the best of times.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that several contributing factors can also lead to a left-turn accident. According to the NHTSAdriver error is the leading cause of all car accidents nationwide. Driver error may include the following actions:
- They misjudged the speed of oncoming traffic.
- They falsely believed that they had the legal right of way.
- They unintentionally veered too far into an intersection to gain a clearer view of oncoming traffic.
Other common contributing factors include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Vision impairment
- Distracted driving such as texting, talking, or eating while driving
- Aggressive driving
- Careless driving
- Failure to yield right of way
There may be other contributing factors to your accident than those we have listed here. To learn more about how a lawyer from Dansker & Aspromonte Associates can protect your rights, call our team today.
A Lawyer Can Help You Prove Your Case
Each case is based on unique facts and circumstances. If you have been seriously injured in a car accident while you were another driver, passenger, bicyclist, or a pedestrian, speak to our experienced and dedicated personal injury attorneys to discuss whether you are entitled to fair and just compensation for your injuries. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin a careful and thorough investigation of your case, preserve evidence before it is lost, and build a strong claim for compensation.
The mere fact that you were injured in a car accident does not automatically entitle you to financial compensation. The law requires that you first show that another party was responsible for causing the accident. There can be more than one party responsible for an accident. For example, if there were confusing or defective traffic signals or construction signs at the accident location which disoriented a driver making a left turn, a pedestrian struck by that driver may be able to hold both the driver and a construction company liable for the accident.
Additionally, if the evidence shows that a motorist was responsible for your accident, additional parties, such as their employer, could also share responsibility for your damages. This is a common event when a commercial vehicle such as a bus or delivery truck is involved.
Dansker & Aspromonte Associates has been fighting for the rights of injury victims since 1988. If you were seriously injured in a left turn accident or any other type of accident, call our lawyers as soon as possible. Don’t delay since there are deadlines that require that you file your claim for benefits and for financial compensation by a certain date. If you fail to follow these time limitations, you may be forever barred from receiving the benefits and compensation you deserve. Our consultation is free and if we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront.
The sooner you call our office, the sooner we can begin to conduct a careful and thorough investigation of the facts of your accident, preserve evidence, file your claims in a timely manner and build a strong claim for maximum recovery. Our investigation may include the following actions:
- Obtaining all police and incident reports
- Interviewing all witnesses
- Securing video footage of the incident, if available
- Conducting a site visit
- Taking photographs of the scene and vehicle damage
- Demanding sworn statements of all at-fault parties
- Consulting an accident reconstruction expert
- Collecting all hospital and medical records
- Gathering employment and wage documentation
- Maintaining proof of all out of pocket expenses
- Retaining a medical expert to evaluate your injuries and the permanent effects of those injuries
Once we have completed our investigation regarding who was responsible for the accident as well as the full extent of your injuries, our lawyers will begin to analyze what is fair and just financial compensation in your claim. In the event that someone else’s fault caused you to sustain serious injuries, New York law permits you to be fully compensated for each and every aspect of damages that you suffered. Some of the types of damages that you may be entitled to include money for:
- Pain and suffering for all physical and emotional injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Fear of impending death, if applicable
- Future pain and suffering, if your injuries are deemed permanent
- Lost wages
- Future lost wages
- Loss of pension or retirement benefits
- Hospital or medical expenses
- Future hospital or medical expenses
- Loss of services around the home
- Damage to the marital relationship
- Cost of adaptations in the home, medical equipment, medications, or any other costs related to your injuries
- Any other out of pocket expenses caused by your injuries
- Funeral expenses, in the event of death
- Loss of guidance and support, in the event of death
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
Common injuries that result from negligent driving include broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, disfigurement, spine damage, joint disruption, and many others including death. If you or someone you love sustained serious injuries like these because of the fault of another, our lawyers are standing by to help you fight for your rights to maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for more details about how our lawyers can secure the best possible outcome for you and your loved ones.