The term “passenger vehicle” may generally refer to any vehicle whose primary purpose is to transport people. This means that the type of passenger vehicle can vary greatly, from a two-seat sedan to a Greyhound bus.
While the specific type of passenger vehicle involved in your accident may be a factor in your losses, any type of passenger vehicle has the capacity to cause serious injury or death. Whether you were another driver, passenger, bicyclist, or pedestrian, our Brooklyn passenger vehicle accident lawyers have decades of experience fighting for people just like you and we may be able to help you pursue compensation for your damages.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for details about we can protect your legal rights.
All Motor Vehicle Drivers Have a Responsibility to Drive Safely
All motor vehicle operators have a duty of care to their passengers, other motorists, and pedestrians. According to the Legal Information Institute (LII), a duty of care means that people must “act in the same manner as a reasonably prudent person in their position would.” For motorists, this means all drivers must obey traffic laws and operate their vehicles safely.
Passenger vehicle drivers must take certain precautions and avoid driving behaviors that increase the risk of an accident occurring, such as driving while distracted. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) states that distracted driving caused 2,841 deaths and about 400,000 injuries in 2018. Distracted driving behaviors may include texting, eating, changing the radio station or AC setting, and talking with passengers.
Other dangerous driving behaviors that passenger vehicle drivers must avoid also include:
- Changing lanes abruptly
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Making dangerous or illegal turns
- Driving on parts of the road where a vehicle is not permitted
- Driving without fully functional brakes, tires, mirrors, and lights
- Driving with items loosely attached to the outside of the vehicle
Motorists must ensure that their vehicle is roadworthy and should take certain safety measures during dangerous road conditions, like slowing down during poor weather.
Each case is unique. Our lawyers will conduct a thorough and careful investigation of the facts and circumstances of your accident and identify how the other driver’s negligence led to your accident.
Large Vehicles Pose Unique Risks
New York City roads are often congested with a wide variety of different vehicle types including large trucks, tractor-trailers, construction vehicles, and buses. These vehicles pose additional hazards due to their large size that limits visibility and increases the likelihood of more destructive forces during collision. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states that certain larger vehicles must be registered with one or more regulatory bodies and comply with guidelines and rules. In many cases, collisions involving these types of larger vehicles can be directly linked to violations of particular rules or regulations.
Larger passenger vehicles may pose unique risks to its passengers and others on or near the road. These vehicles may be registered as commercial vehicles, which might mean that more than one party might be liable for your damages.
Larger passenger vehicles present a greater risk of danger in a collision because:
- They generally carry a greater number of passengers, which represents a greater number of possible victims in an accident
- They weigh more than smaller passenger vehicles, which means they have a greater force of impact
- Their size and weight may make it more difficult to stop or swerve before a collision
- They may not have certain safety features, such as airbags and seatbelts, which are generally present in smaller passenger vehicles
Whether you were riding in a large passenger vehicle or struck by a large passenger vehicle, you might be able to collect compensation for losses caused by the accident. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 to find out how a Brooklyn passenger vehicle accident lawyer may handle your case.
You Can Hire a Lawyer to Manage Your Case While You Recover
If you have been seriously injured as the result of driver negligence, contact our lawyers as soon as possible so that we can protect your rights to recover fair and just compensation for each and every type of damage you sustained. Don’t delay however since there are deadlines that limit your rights to recovery benefits and compensation. If you fail to file your claims by a certain deadline, you may be forever barred from receiving the compensation you deserve. Our lawyers have been representing injury victims like you since 1988. Contact us today so that we can begin to investigate the facts of your accident, secure evidence, file all claims in a timely manner and build a strong case for compensation so that you can concentrate on your own recovery. Call us for a free consultation. If we agree to accept your case, our investigation may include:
- Requesting all police or incident reports
- Interviewing all witnesses to the incident
- Conducting a site visit and taking detailed photographs
- Securing video footage of the incident, if available
- Inspecting the involving vehicles
- Demanding all vehicle damage reports and evaluations
- Conducting depositions of all
- Examining the commercial vehicle log data
- Consulting an accident reconstruction and commercial vehicle expert
- Gathering all hospital and medical records
- Retaining medical experts to prove the permanent effects of your injuries
- Collecting lost earnings documentation
- Evaluating all economic damages including lost earnings, if applicable
- Calculating all out of pocket expenses
- Preparing your case for trial before a jury, if necessary
Throughout our representation, our lawyers will work tirelessly to secure maximum financial recovery for you. If the at-fault party or parties refuse to offer fair and just compensation that reflects the full extent of your injuries and damages, our lawyers have extensive trial experience and will proceed to a trial before a jury if necessary. Our goal is to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Possible Accident-Related Compensation
The types of compensation you might be entitled to collect will hinge upon the losses that you have suffered. You may be able to receive awards for the following losses:
- Pain and suffering for all physical and emotional injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Lost salary or wages
- Permanent inability to do your job
- Reduced earning capacity
- Future lost earnings
- Loss of services around the home
- Damage to the marital relationship
- Hospital and medical expenses
- Cost of making adaptations to your home, medical equipment, transportation, and any other out of pocket expenses due to your injuries
You may experience a substantial decline in quality of life because of an accident involving a passenger vehicle, and our lawyers may be able to obtain compensation to recover your losses.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
You do not have to handle the devastating effects of a personal injury case on your own. Our Brooklyn passenger vehicle accident lawyers are here to help. Call us today. The consultation is free and if you decide to hire us to fight for you, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee unless you receive compensation.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 to find out how we can seek the best possible outcome for you or your loved ones. Our lawyers are standing by.