Despite being one of the most walkable boroughs in New York City, pedestrian accidents in Brooklyn are rising. The New York Post reports 58% more NYC pedestrians have been killed in 2021 compared to 2020. But when motorists engage in careless behavior, our pedestrian accident attorneys in Brooklyn are ready to hold them accountable.
If you suffered serious injuries from a negligent motor vehicle driver while walking through Brooklyn, our legal experts help you seek fair and reasonable compensation. We have been fighting to protect pedestrian rights for decades, and we are well-prepared to handle your accident claim.
Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Hold Drivers Liable
Our team of pedestrian accident attorneys can evaluate your case, gather necessary details, and determine who is liable for your damages.
We have experience handling claims where various parties are at fault, including:
- Passenger vehicle drivers
- Motorcycle riders
- Commercial truck drivers
- Taxi or rideshare drivers
- Public transportation drivers
- NYPD vehicle or motorcycle operators
- Construction vehicle operators
Once we determine liability, we move forward with assessing your damages and negotiating a reasonable settlement.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Brooklyn, call (212) 732-2929
Our Process for Pursuing Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Claims
Just because you were involved in a pedestrian accident does not mean that you will automatically receive financial compensation. Insurance companies often offer low payouts or deny insurance claims if you try to resolve your case alone, preventing you from recouping your losses.
Our litigation strategy ensures you never settle for less than what your injuries merit. We do this by establishing fault, collecting and preserving evidence, calculating losses, and negotiating for fair compensation on your behalf.
Step #1: Establish Liability
A strong case demonstrates how someone else caused your accident and that you sustained severe injuries as a result. There could be more than one party responsible, and if there is, our skilled accident attorneys will make sure to identify them.
Drivers must act within a reasonable standard of care when operating a vehicle. By engaging in negligent actions (like texting at the wheel), drivers breach their duty of care. Their negligence causes a car crash, and therefore, makes them liable for your damages.
Step #2: Collect Evidence
To prove fault, our lawyers work quickly to gather evidence that shows how the liable party caused the collision. We may use the following as evidence when building a pedestrian accident case:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Video footage of the accident
- Driver logs or other employment records
- Photographs of the accident scene and vehicle damage
- Evaluations from accident reconstruction experts
- Traffic light timing records
Step #3: Calculate Losses
Next, we evaluate all of your physical and emotional injuries to determine the extent of your losses. The injuries can include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Loss of limbs
- Sprains, strains, and ligament tears
- Traumatic brain injuries, concussions, and cognitive disabilities
- Spinal cord damage
- Loss of a fetus
- Mental trauma and emotional distress (such as PTSD, anxiety, or depression)
To prove how your injuries are connected to the pedestrian accident, our team collects evidence from EMS personnel, healthcare workers, mental health therapists, and any other professionals who tend to your injuries. Often we retain the services of medical experts to determine the full extent of your injuries and the effect of those injuries into the future.
Step #4: Negotiate Maximum Financial Recovery
Once we have carefully and thoroughly gathered all evidence of fault and injuries including physical, emotional, and financial damages you have sustained, our accident attorneys present the evidence to the liable party or insurance provider. From there, we will try to negotiate a fair settlement that justly compensates you. If the insurance company or other party fails to offer fair and reasonable compensation, we will present your case to a jury at trial in Court.
Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
Damages You Are Entitled to after a Pedestrian Accident
You have a right to receive compensation for every type of damage you sustained during the pedestrian accident. Our legal team fights to make sure you receive the recovery your injuries warrant.
We pursue a variety of damages on behalf of our clients, including:
- Pain and suffering (both physical and emotional)
- Mental anguish
- Lost income, pension, health insurance, and retirement benefits
- Loss of quality of life
- Damage to the marital relationship
- Hospital and medical expenses
- Future medical treatments and rehabilitation
- Out of pocket expenses (such as for medical equipment, home adaptations, and transportation)
If you lost a loved one due to a pedestrian accident in Brooklyn, New York law authorizes a representative of the deceased’s estate to recover damages on their behalf. A wrongful death lawyer can help you recoup damages and costs incited by the accident, like burial and funeral expenses and money for loss of guidance and support
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Brooklyn
Different types of negligent behaviors result in pedestrian accidents. Our injury accident lawyers use our legal expertise to investigate your claim and determine the source of your accident.
We have secured compensation for clients involved in a variety of pedestrian accidents. In our experience, some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Brookly include:
- Impaired driving: Operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs, alcohol, prescription medications, or any other substance that prevents you from using reasonable care.
- Reckless driving: Driving over the speed limit or operating the vehicle in an aggressive manner (like tailgating) that prevents you from yielding to pedestrians.
- Fatigued driving: Getting behind the wheel while drowsy, which the New York Department of Health (DOH) reports causes over 100,000 crashes throughout the country.
- Faulty vehicles: Operating a vehicle that is not safe for the road.
- Hazardous road conditions: Poorly designed intersections, broken traffic signals, and construction work impair roadways and cause pedestrian collisions.
- Distracted driving: Using a cellphone while driving prevents drivers from seeing pedestrians on the road.
If you are not sure of what caused your collision or even if you have the right to bring a claim, our team can evaluate your accident and protect your rights. Whether the liable party is another driver or a public entity (like the City of New York), we will make sure they are held accountable for their negligence.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Get Results for Our Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Clients
Dansker & Aspromonte Associates lawyers have been fighting for the rights of injury victims since 1988.. Our successful verdicts include a $6.3 million settlement for a pedestrian struck by a speeding police motor scooter and a $10.3 million jury verdict for a pedestrian injured by a faulty flatbed truck.
Our attorneys are dedicated to our clients and will never settle for less compensation than what they deserve. We have helped clients obtain millions in settlements, are we are prepared to do the same for you.
Call Our Experienced Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
If you are not sure whether you have a strong claim, speak with the Dansker & Aspromonte Associates legal team. We will provide a free evaluation and determine the best course of action to recover your losses and collect maximum compensation for your injuries.
There are deadlines that limit your rights. If you fail to bring your claim for benefits or compensation you could be prevented from recovering the compensation you deserve. Don’t delay speaking to our lawyers. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today.