Many traffic laws in New York have been created to protect pedestrians and motorists. Unfortunately, accidents continue to occur despite these laws because people engage in carelessness or dangerous behavior.
If you were struck and seriously injured by the negligent operation of a vehicle while you were a pedestrian, the law permits you to seek fair and reasonable compensation for each and every type of damage you sustained, including money for your physical, emotional, and economic losses. The Brooklyn pedestrian accident lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates can help you protect your rights to justice and fair compensation. Since 1988, we have fought for injury victims.
Contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates by dialing (212) 732-2929 to discuss your case with a member of our firm during a free case review.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Brooklyn
As a pedestrian, you do your best to keep yourself safe, crossing the street at crosswalks and looking both ways. But ultimately, you cannot control other people’s actions. You cannot stop every accident from happening because some things are out of your control. Sometimes, your life and safety are in other people’s hands.
There are many potential causes of a pedestrian accident. For example, you could have been injured by a driver who ran a red light. You could have been injured by a trucker who decided to drive too many hours––which the New York State Department of Health lists as a potential danger to road users.
Many different negligent behaviors could result in a pedestrian accident. At Dansker & Aspromonte Associates, we will carefully investigate what caused your accident and who is responsible for your damages.
Some other causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Drunk driving
- Reckless driving
- Poor vehicle maintenance
- Poorly designed intersections
- Dangerous roads
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Broken traffic signals
- Confusing road construction signs or signals
Even if your accident was caused by another factor not listed here, we encourage you to give our team a call. You can begin a free case review with Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today. If you are not sure whether you have a strong case, call our lawyers for a free evaluation. If we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee when we recover compensation for you.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Brooklyn, call (212) 732-2929
Proving a Pedestrian Accident Case
Every case is unique. Just because you were involved in a pedestrian accident does not mean automatically that you are entitled to compensation. In order to have a successful case, you must show that someone else was at fault for causing your accident and that you sustained serious injuries as a result. There can be more than one party responsible for your injuries depending upon the facts and circumstances of your accident.
In order to prove fault, our lawyers will gather evidence that shows that another driver or party caused or contributed to your accident such as:
- Police or incident reports
- Witness statements
- Video footage of the accident, if available
- Driver logs or other employment records
- Photographs of the accident scene and vehicle damage
- Evaluations from accident reconstruction experts
- Traffic light timing records, if applicable
In addition to showing with evidence that the accident was the result of someone else’s fault, you must also show that your injuries are “serious” in order to have a successful claim. New York law defines as “serious” an injury that results in:
- Loss of a fetus
- A broken bone
- Loss of a limb or other body part
- A significant limitation of use of a body party, organ, or system
- Permanent consequential limitation of use of body party, organ, or system
- A medically determined injury which results in an inability to perform substantially all of your usual daily activities for 90 out of the 180 days immediately after your accident
In order to prove that your injuries meet this “serious” injury threshold, our lawyers will collect evidence of your injuries including:
- EMS reports
- Hospital records
- Medical records and reports from all treating doctors
- Evaluation reports from medical experts
Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
You May Be Entitled to Substantial Compensation
Once our lawyers can establish with evidence that you sustained serious injuries as the result of someone else’s fault, you are entitled to demand fair and just compensation for each and every type of damages you suffered. Though every case is unique, some compensable losses in your case may include:
- Pain and suffering for all physical and emotional injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Future pain and suffering, if your injuries are deemed permanent in nature
- Lost income, pension, health insurance, and retirement benefits
- Loss of services in the home
- Damage to the marital relationship
- Hospital and medical expenses
- Future hospital and medical expenses
- Out of pocket expenses for medical equipment, home adaptations, medication, and transportation
- Any other out of pocket expenses resulting from your injuries
You may be able to recover damages that are not included here.
Call The Experienced Team of Lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates
Even if you are not sure whether you have a strong claim, call the lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today. We will provide you with a free evaluation and provide you with guidance as to how to protect your rights. If we agree to accept your case, we will begin a careful and thorough investigation of your accident, gather and secure evidence, file all claims in a timely manner, hire experts, negotiate on your behalf and build a strong claim for maximum compensation so that you can focus on your own recovery. The sooner you contact our dedicated and experienced team, the sooner we can begin to fight for you. Don’t delay, however, as there are deadlines that limit your rights. If you fail to file your claims for benefits and compensation, you may be prevented from recovering the compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers have been fighting for injury victims just like you since 1988. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929. We accept all cases on a contingency basis. We do not require that you pay us any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee when we recover compensation for you.