There could be more than one party responsible for your sexual assault. Not only could the person who harmed you be liable for your injuries, but the property owner or manager could also be held accountable. Most public housing developments in Brooklyn are owned and operated by the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA). A Brooklyn sexual assault in public housing lawyer could help you determine exactly what actions or omissions led to your assault.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929, so we can discuss your next move. We could help you file an insurance claim or lawsuit.
You May Think That You Cannot Afford a Lawyer
Too many people shy away from seeking justice and compensation after they suffer harm. Our firm operates on a contingency-fee-basis. You do not need to make any financial sacrifices to get our help. We only charge a fee if you receive a monetary settlement or award.
Do not think that you have to prioritize legal representation over your bills. We know what you are going through and how you might have a lot of expenses related to your assault. We can help you recover those losses without any upfront payment for our services.
The Types of Compensation We Can Help You Pursue
Depending on the specifics of your Brooklyn sexual assault, you could be eligible to collect various types of damages.
Such losses might include:
- Pain and suffering. Your assault may have left you with physical pain and emotional suffering. Your lawyer can determine the value of your pain and suffering after reviewing your situation.
- Medical costs. In the aftermath of your assault, you might have needed emergency medical attention or required an ambulance to take you to the hospital. You may be able to recover compensation for your medical treatment, medications, and follow-up care.
- Mental health care. An assault of any kind can be incredibly traumatic, per the Mayo Clinic. Right now, you could be experiencing anxiety or depression. You could also be suffering from a preexisting mental condition that the assault triggered. The cost of your mental health treatment can be included in your claim.
- Losses due to an inability to work. Your recovery period could put you out of work temporarily or for the long-term. Your lost wages, benefits, bonuses, and tips are compensable.
- Non-economic damages. You may have suffered other losses that are non-monetary in nature. Such compensable damages include disfigurement, disability, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium
You might be eligible for other damages not listed here. Speak to your Brooklyn sexual assault in public housing lawyer about your losses. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation regarding your case.
How a Property Owner Could Be Liable for Your Sexual Assault
You might think that only the party that physically hurt you could be responsible for your assault. However, there are other parties that are often liable for sexual assaults that occur at a residential building.
For instance, if your building had a high occurrence of crimes in the building or on the property the owner may have a responsibility to take protective actions. The owner might have known about this problem but refused to install security cameras and light fixtures or repair locks or malfunctioning buzzers and security systems to prevent or deter assailants from entering the building and committing violent acts. In this case, your lawyer could argue that this willful inaction allowed your assailant to hurt you.
Additionally, the property owner could have decided not to perform background checks on their employees. One such employee with a history of violent conduct might have been the individual who hurt you. This person might have also let their friend into the building so that they could harm you. You might be able to argue that had the owner performed an adequate background check, they would have learned of the prior history of violent activity and prevented your assault.
How Your Lawyer Will Help You
Our team is prepared to do all we can to get you a fair settlement. When you partner with us, you will not have to speak to any representatives on behalf of the responsible parties including investigators or insurance adjusters. Once you retain our services, you will direct any calls that you get to us.
We will also:
- Come to you if you cannot travel to us
- Answer all your legal questions over the phone, via email, through social media, or by video chat
- Protect your rights
- Search for and analyze evidence that supports your claim
- Identify the at-fault and liable parties
- Calculate the value of your damages
- Attempt to negotiate a fair settlement
- Represent you in court
We can help you in ways not listed here. To learn more, reach out to our law firm today.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates to Begin a Free Case Review
There are timelines that affect how long you have to file a lawsuit. If you fail to make your claim within the time limits you may be forever barred from obtaining compensation for your injuries and damages. We can discuss these deadlines with you and be sure that your claims are properly filed. By pursuing a civil claim or lawsuit against the party that caused or contributed to your sexual assault, you are limiting the chance for a similar situation to occur to someone else in the future. Hopefully, by holding the New York City Housing Authority or any other negligent property owner responsible for the crime that was committed on their property, you can help ensure a safer building and surrounding area for future residents and visitors.
We also represent minors who were harmed by the negligence of others. We are prepared to handle your case with care and sensitivity.
Call our team at (212) 732-2929 to begin your free consultation. We can help you navigate through this very difficult time. We will fight on your behalf to obtain a fair financial recovery to compensate you for the damages you suffered due to a sexual assault. We have been representing injured clients for over 35 years and we have recovered over $450 million in verdicts and settlements. Let a Brooklyn sexual assault in public housing lawyer from Dansker and Aspromonte Associates help you.