A bicycle accident can cause serious or even fatal injuries that can change your life in an instant. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed as a bicyclist in Manhattan, a lawyer may be able to represent you against the insurance company or in court. Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation. There is no obligation. We recover no attorney’s fees unless and until you win your case.
Bicyclists Have a Right to Share the Road
Bicyclists are an indelible part of New York City; many of these bicyclists in the city are put at risk by dangerous riding conditions, including drivers failing to act cautiously.
In fact, New York City saw a 200% increase in bicycle-related fatalities in 2019, according to WABC TV. This rise in bicyclist deaths suggests that motorists, The City of New York, and other contractors still need to do more work to ensure that bicyclists have safe passage throughout Manhattan.
Motorists’ Responsibility to Prevent Bicyclist Injuries and Deaths
All motorists have a responsibility to drive their vehicles in a responsible way as to prevent avoidable harm to other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians, including bicyclists. Motorists in New York City specifically must also recognize that:
- They share the road with bicyclists, who have a right to safety.
- Congested road conditions in New York City may put cyclists and cars in closer proximity than they would be in most other locales.
- New York City’s reputation as a biking and walking-friendly city means that bicyclists are a near-constant presence on the city’s roads.
- When a vehicle strikes a bicyclist, there is a high risk of injuring or killing the bicyclist.
Each of these facts means that motorists must use caution and take extra steps to ensure that they do not strike a bicyclist on the road. Some measures that motorists can take to protect bicyclists include:
- Remaining alert to bicycle lanes and ensuring that their vehicle does not veer into these lanes
- Ensuring that a bicyclist is not passing through an intersection before turning, as the turn may result in a collision
- Turning their heads to check their blind spots for bicyclists before turning or merging
- Allowing as much space as possible between their vehicle and the bicycle lane, especially when bicyclists are present
- When parked, checking for oncoming bicyclists before opening a door, which may be a hazard to bicyclists
Motorists who fail to take these precautions risk causing a collision with a bicyclist. In addition to these steps, motorists should avoid potential causes of accidents, including:
- Distracted driving, which includes texting, making phone calls, engaging with social media, or doing anything that takes your hands from the wheel or attention from the road
- Aggressive driving, which includes tailgating, merging into the bike lane to pass, and speeding
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Dangerous Road Conditions Also Cause Bicycle Accidents
Besides negligent motor vehicle operators, a substantial number of accidents are caused by dangerous road conditions. These conditions may include an improperly repaired pothole or road excavation which can cause a depression or bump in the road that poses a hazard to a bicycle wheel. There are many different parties that perform roadway construction work including The City of New York, Con Edison, the gas company, or other private businesses and utilities.
If motorists or parties who perform roadway repairs fail to take action to prevent an accident, they can be liable for any injuries and losses suffered. If you or a loved one was injured or killed during a bicycle accident and another party is responsible for your injuries, you have the right to bring a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit and demand fair and reasonable monetary compensation for all of your losses. Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation.
The Court Is a Possible Road to Justice
The negative consequences of a bicycle accident can quickly mount and become overwhelming. Some possible consequences for bicyclists who were injured in a collision with a motor vehicle or defective roadway condition include:
- Serious injuries which cause you pain and suffering
- Loss of the ability to work resulting in lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Loss of future income
- Long term disability
- Mental anguish or loss of enjoyment of life
- Other economic or out of pocket expenses
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a bicycle accident and you are considering your options for justice, the Manhattan bicycle accident lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates are ready to fight for you.
A Manhattan Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Handle Your Case from Start to Finish
Hiring a lawyer to represent you in your claim allows you to have peace of mind that someone is fighting for you so you can concentrate on your recovery. Our consultation will focus on answering all of your questions and explaining the process going forward. If you decide to retain us, we will immediately begin an investigation of your case which may include:
- Obtaining all incident or accident reports
- Securing all surveillance video and accident photographs
- Identifying witnesses and obtain statements
- Gathering all EMS, hospital and medical treatment records
- Consulting with accident reconstruction and medical experts
- Preparing the case for trial if necessary
Your Time Is Limited
Your time to bring a claim for monetary damages following an accident is limited. If you fail to begin your claim within that time you may be forever barred from receiving the compensation you deserve. Don’t delay.
Call Our Team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
Our team serving Manhattan will review your case and answer any questions that you have at no expense to you. For decades our attorneys have been fighting for our clients so that they receive fair and just compensation. Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation.