Many different types of boating accidents occur on the lakes and waterways of New York, including one-craft or two-craft crashes, collisions between a boat and a smaller piece of water equipment such as a Jet Ski, and large-scale boating accidents such as ferry crashes.
Some frequent causes of personal boating accidents include:
- Inexperienced drivers
- Mechanical failure
In New York, as in most states, teenagers and adults may operate many types of boats without any type of certification or licensing at all. Where certification is required, the driver must typically pass a boating safety course, which may be completed online and requires no actual boating experience or observation of the driver’s ability to pilot a boat. This can lead to many motor vehicle accidents that could have been prevented.
Talk to an Experienced Boating Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, get advice from an experienced attorney before you take another step. Over the past 35 years, the personal injury lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients.
Call us today at 1-212-732-2929 or fill out the contact form on this page to schedule your free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a boat accidents lawyer serving New York, call 212-732-2929
Negligence in Boating Accidents
As in other types of personal injury cases, holding another person or business entity responsible for your injuries will require proving that the person or entity:
- Had a duty of care to you
- Breached that duty
- By breaching that duty, caused the accident
In addition, you will have to prove that you suffered damages as a result. Some of the most common types of damages in a boating accident include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
Mechanical Failure in Boating Accident Cases
Mechanical failure is an important possibility that is often overlooked in boating accident cases, from personal watercraft crashes to ferry accidents. While boating accidents often occur as a result of negligent operation, they may also happen because equipment was defective or negligently maintained.
We work with mechanical engineers and other highly qualified experts to determine whether a manufacturer or other party may be responsible for your boating accident.
Assessing Liability in a Boating Accident Case
Assembling evidence and reconstructing the accident may be more difficult in a boating accident case than in a car accident case or other incident that occurs on land. Some complications occur because:
- There are often fewer witnesses to a boating accident, and they may be more difficult to identify, than in the case of an urban automobile accident
- There is less likely to be evidence such as video footage from a cell phone or neighboring business
- You don’t have the advantage of skid marks or adjacent property damage to help reconstruct the accident
Often, determining who is at fault in a boating accident requires extensive investigation and discovery, which may include:
- Retrieving sunken wreckage from the vessels involved
- Identifying and collecting statements from any witnesses
- Obtaining drug and alcohol screening results for the drivers
Proving Damages in a Boating Accident Case
Proving your case requires more than showing that a particular party was at fault in the accident that caused your injuries. In order to pursue a fair settlement or verdict in your case, we will assemble information such as:
- Medical records and statements from treating physicians
- Medical costs to date and projected future expenses
- Additional costs associated with your injuries, such as assistance or equipment required
- Lost wages to date and projected future losses
- Valuation of property damage
If this sounds complicated, don’t worry. We have the experience to manage the details, ensure that legal requirements are fulfilled and deadlines met, and fight for the best possible recovery in your case.
New York Boat Accident Lawyer Near Me 212-732-2929
Get Help with Your Boating Accident Claim Today
When your right to recover for injuries and property damage is at stake, you can’t afford to delay or take chances. Call 1-212-732-2929 or fill out the contact form on this page to schedule a free consultation with an experienced boating accident attorney.