According to the New York Post, between 2015 and 2018, there were over 21,800 crashes involving public transit buses alone. These collisions can be legally complicated since multiple parties can be held accountable, such as the bus driver, their employer, the bus manufacturer, or another road user. Besides public transit buses, New York City sees thousands of bus accidents involving tour buses, sightseeing buses, private commuter buses and school buses.
What Is A Bus Accident
A bus accident can result from a wide variety of incidents. Below is a list of some of the most common types of bus accidents that we have handled:
- Bus has a collision with another motor vehicle
- Bus stops short or strikes a fixed object causing injury to a bus passenger
- Bus driver lets a passenger off at a dangerous location causing injury
- Bus strikes a pedestrian, bicyclist, skateboarder or other non-motorized vehicle
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a New York bus accident, contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today. You may be entitled to receive substantial compensation for your injuries and other losses related to the collision. Our approach has helped us recover more than $450 million in compensation for our clients – including a $3.5 million settlement for a young man who was struck by a New York City transit bus.
To learn more about what we can do for you, call us today at (212) 732-2929.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving New York, call (212) 732-2929
Multiple Parties Can Contribute to a Bus Accident
There are many different types of buses that carry people to and from their destinations in New York City every day. The type of bus involved could influence how your case must be handled. For example, if a loved one was injured while riding a New York City public bus operated by the New York City Transit Authority or MTA, you must meet certain special deadlines in order to pursue compensation from those entities.
Parties responsible for employing public and private bus drivers have a duty to ensure that the driver has been properly trained and has a reasonable driving record. Bus operators are also required to ensure that vehicles are regularly inspected for defects so that they are roadworthy. The companies that sell buses or vehicle parts, including mechanical components, like wiper blades, tires, brakes, and safety equipment, are obligated to ensure those products are safe.
If you have been injured in a bus accident, there are a number of parties that may be held responsible for your injuries including:
- A bus driver
- A driver’s employer
- Another road user
- A parts manufacturer
- A bus vendor
- A bus maintenance firm
- A government entity or public authority such as the NYCTA or MTA
A thorough investigation of your case will assist us in determining each and every party who may be held liable for your injuries. Our experienced and dedicated New York bus accident lawyers can review the facts of your case and determine who can be held accountable for your losses. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a bus accident, we encourage you to reach out to the Dansker & Aspromonte Associates team today.
New York Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
Compensable Damages From a New York Bus Accident
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), in 2017, there were 4,889 large trucks and buses involved in fatal crashes nationwide. Our team understands that what could initially start as a routine bus journey could change your life in an instant, leaving you or a loved one with serious injuries, mounting medical bills, and an inability to work. Bringing a legal claim may seem like the last thing on your mind during this difficult time, but it can help you receive reimbursement for various collision-related expenses, inconvenience and physical suffering.
A New York bus accident lawyer can fight for you so that you receive the financial compensation you are entitled to under the law. While each case is unique, you may be entitled to money damages for:
- Pain and suffering for your physical and emotional injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life and mental anguish
- Current and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Disability and disfigurement
- Loss of earnings and reduced future earning capacity
- Loss of pension benefits
- Funeral and burial costs, in the event of wrongful death
Our ultimate goal is to get the best possible outcome for you and your loved ones based upon the facts and circumstances of your case. From day one we will build your case and identify all responsible parties to ensure that they are held accountable for their actions. To learn more about your options for financial recovery, call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929.
Services Our Legal Team Provides
As you recover from your injuries or mourn the loss of a loved one, you may be wondering about what our legal team can do for you. Once you retain us, we will handle your case so that you can concentrate on your own recovery. Our lawyers and staff may do the following based upon your unique case:
- Filing all legal claims within the appropriate deadlines
- Gathering all police, accident or incident reports
- Securing scene or vehicle photographs and video footage
- Obtaining witness statements
- Receiving all hospital and medical records
- Retaining medical experts to prove the full nature of your injuries
- Consulting with accident reconstruction specialists to prove negligence
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Conducting a trial before a jury, if necessary
If an ordinary bus ride has turned into a tragedy for you or a loved one, Dansker & Aspromonte Associates will be at your side throughout the legal process. Our goal is to protect your rights and get the best possible outcome for you and your loved ones. We encourage you to reach out to our team today.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Considerations After a New York Bus Accident
While your lawyer will handle many of the responsibilities involved with fighting for your interests, there are also some things you can do to strengthen your case including:
- Ask for the police to respond to the scene of the accident
- Try to obtain names of witnesses
- Take photographs at the scene
- Seek prompt medical care
- Complete your doctor’s recommended course of treatment
- Don’t post anything about the accident to social media
- Keeping all documents that pertain to your accident and injuries
- Don’t speak to representatives from the other side before speaking to a lawyer
- Not accepting an insurance settlement without talking to your lawyer first
These measures cannot guarantee a successful outcome in your case; however, they can ultimately work to your benefit.
Call Our Team Today For a Free Case Review
At Dansker & Aspromonte Associates, we represent clients throughout the New York City metropolitan area, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Our team advocates on behalf of injured clients who have suffered physical, emotional, and economic damages due to negligence.
We offer services on a contingency-fee basis, meaning that you do not have to pay us any money up front or out of pocket to get our help. We only get paid our attorney’s fees if we obtain financial compensation for you. To learn more about your options in a free case review, call us today at (212) 732-2929.