Rental car accidents can be very difficult to navigate, with multiple drivers and insurance parties involved. If you have been seriously injured in an accident, physical, emotional or financial damages caused by the accident can make dealing with your legal rights more difficult.
Whether your injuries were the result of an equipment failure in a rental vehicle or simply the negligence of another driver, New York entitles you to recover fair and reasonable compensation if your injuries are deemed “serious” under the law. Determining whether your injuries are serious requires careful legal representation.
Thankfully, there is a New York rental car accident lawyer from our firm available to help you understand your options and handle your case in the aftermath of your accident.
Injuries You May Be Suffering After an Accident
Though every case is unique, car accidents can result in a wide variety of different injuries ranging from the mild to the catastrophic. Under New York law, you are entitled to bring a claim for compensation if you have sustained serious injuries as the result of a motor vehicle accident. Some injuries which may prove a serious injury include:
- Bone breaks or fractures
- Spinal cord injury
- Loss of use of a body part or organ
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Disfiguring scars
- Ligament or soft tissue tears
- And more
Depending upon the extent of your injuries, your ability to perform activities of daily living may be affected. In many instances, serious injuries can prevent you from performing your job and cause a loss of income or decreased benefits. As well, health conditions can result in chronic pain as well as ongoing and expensive medical costs.
For a free legal consultation with a rental car accidents lawyer serving New York, call (212) 732-2929
Recoverable Compensation After a Rental Car Accident
The compensation you or your loved ones could recover following an accident is dependent on the specific details of your case. New York law entitles you to recover the following types of damages following serious injuries:
- Pain and suffering, reflecting the severity of your physical and emotional pain
- Medical costs, including the cost of emergency room visits, surgeries, medical appointments, physical therapy, prescription medication, assistive devices, and more
- Lost wages, reflecting time missed at work due to your injuries
- Future lost wages, if your injuries prevent you from working in the future
- Future pain and suffering, if your injuries are determined to be permanent
- Out of pocket expenses caused by your injures
If you have questions about the types of compensation you could be eligible for in your case, we can help you understand your rights.
New York Rental Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
How We Can Help With Your Case
As the victim of a rental car accident, you may not know how to proceed with an insurance claim or lawsuit. We can handle every aspect of your case and advise you on your options, protect your rights, file all claims in a timely manner so that you can focus on your own recovery.
If we agree to accept your case, here are some of the many actions we may take on your behalf so to build a strong claim:
- Obtain all police or accident reports
- Interview any witnesses to the accident
- Locate and preserve any video footage
- Conduct a site visit
- Request all medical and hospital treatment records
- Consult with your doctors
- Ensure that you file all claims for benefits and compensation in a timely manner
- Handle all communication on your behalf
- Gather all lost wages and economic loss records to build your claim
- Consult with and hire any experts to prove your claims
- Carefully evaluate the full value of your claim
- Prepare your case for trial if necessary
- Negotiate for the best financial recovery that reflects all of your injuries and damages
Insurance Policies On a Rental Car Accident
If you were involved in an accident, it is important to understand the types of insurance coverage you could be entitled to after a rental car accident.
Rental car accidents can be confusing because there may be multiple types of insurance at play, including:
- Elected insurance coverage from the rental company
- Your own auto insurance coverage
- Insurance coverage from other drivers in the accident
- Rental company liability insurance if a condition in the rental vehicle such as defective brakes or other mechanical failure caused or contributed to the accident
With so many potential coverages involved, the insurance process can be very complex and confusing. We recommend that you consult with an experienced attorney from our office to understand your rights.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Most Common Causes of a Rental Car Accident
Like all car accidents, there is a wide range of causes of rental car accidents. Here are a few of the most common circumstances that lead to rental car injuries:
- Impaired or intoxicated driving. Impaired driving could involve driving under the influence of alcohol or even certain prescription drugs, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If drunk driving caused your rental car accident, you could be eligible for compensation.
- Distracted driving. If another driver was distracted and caused an accident while you were renting a car, they may be found liable.
- Reckless driving. If a driver’s actions on the roads posed a significant level of danger on the road, they could be liable for an accident.
- Failing to drive carefully. Most car accidents are the result of careless driving.
- Mechanical failures. Mechanical issues can lead to dangerous accidents, and no one should take to the road with an improperly functioning vehicle. If your rental car was inadequately maintained, it is possible that the negligence of the rental company led to your injuries.
Contact Us Today
If you have been seriously injured in a rental car accident that was the fault of another, it is important to understand your legal options. A New York rental car accident lawyer from our firm may be able to help. The legal process can be complicated, but Dansker & Aspromonte Associates can answer your questions and help you understand your options.
We represent clients throughout the New York City metropolitan area, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Call (212) 732-2929 for your free consultation.
Don’t delay, as there are deadlines that limit your rights to compensation. If you fail to file your claim for benefits and compensation on time, you may be forever prevented from recovering the money you deserve. Call us today.