When an injury is fatal, it changes the lives of the deceased’s family members forever. Not only does this loss create financial hardship, but it also comes with emotional devastation as well. When someone is the victim of wrongful death due to another’s negligent acts, a representative of that individual’s estate can file a wrongful death claim.
Our team of lawyers understands that the loss of a loved one is devastating and results in challenging consequences. Because of that, we make it our mission to assist each of our clients by ensuring the process of filing a wrongful death claim is as straightforward and stress-free as possible. Find out what one of our Queens wrongful death lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates can do for you by calling us at (212) 732-2929 to discuss the circumstances of your claim.
How Wrongful Death Occurs in New York
Wrongful deaths can occur in any type of accident, including:
- Construction site accidents and other workplace accidents
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Premises accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bus accidents or other public transportation accidents
- Truck accidents
- Police brutality
Wrongful Death Laws in New York
The wrongful death laws in New York can be complex. However, you do not need to handle the process alone. Our Queens wrongful death lawyers have extensive experience navigating these laws and can ensure you meet all requirements to successfully file your lawsuit.
Turn to Dansker & Aspromonte Associates for Help Recovering the Compensation You Deserve
Determining who is at fault for your loved one’s death requires examining accident reports, applicable laws and ordinances, witness statements, and much more. Our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates has handled these types of claims and lawsuits for over 30 years. Our Queens wrongful death lawyers can help with the entire legal process. We suggest you act right away because evidence may be lost over time. We must obtain and secure it while it is still available.. Give us a call today at (212) 732-2929.
To recover compensation, you must prove the following:
- Exactly how the death of the victim occurred.
- That the death was caused by negligence or wrongful conduct of another party or parties.
- Had the death not occurred, the victim would have been able to file a personal injury action against the negligent party or parties.
- That at least one family member survived the victim and suffered losses or other damages as a result of the wrongful death.
- There are financial damages suffered by the deceased person’s estate.
Our legal team advocates for victims of wrongful death. Do not wait to determine your legal options.
New York Time Limits for Filing Wrongful Death Actions
The statute of limitations indicates how long someone has to file a lawsuit. Statute of limitations laws vary by state and type of case. If a wrongful death occurs in the State of New York, claimants have a short period of time to file an action following the date of the death. If filing does not occur during that time, you may be prohibited from filing or seeking compensation for your loss.
Recoverable Damages in a Wrongful Death Case
During a wrongful death claim, the representative of the victim’s estate can pursue recoverable damages for a variety of economic and non-economic issues that the estate and surviving family members suffer. Courts can award compensation for the financial hardships resulting from the victim’s death. Those recoverable damages in New York include:
- The victim’s pain and suffering from the accident’s date until the time of their death
- The pre-impact terror felt by the person immediately before the event occurred
- The victim’s medical expenses they incurred from the date of the accident up to their death
- The victim’s loss of wages from the accident’s date until the time of their death
- Resulting losses of the victim’s future income and benefits
- The victim’s loss of parental guidance and nurture
- The victim’s loss of services
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Any interest accumulating on these damages
You Can Afford Legal Help
We handle cases on a contingency-fee basis. You put nothing down and owe our team no attorney’s fees if we do not recover compensation for you We also offer a free consultation during which we can determine and explain how we might be able to help you. This means there is no risk when you work with Dansker & Aspromonte Associates.
Prior Settlements and Verdicts in Wrongful Death Cases
We have decades of experience handling wrongful death cases for New Yorkers. Below are some of the results our clients have seen:
- $21.5 million for the family of a sanitation worker who passed away after the driver of the truck he was riding in lost control. The truck ejected him causing serious injuries. Thereafter the medical professionals who treated him failed to uphold the medical standard of care which led to the man passing away from complications caused by abdominal compartment syndrome.
- $5 million for victims who suffered serious and fatal injuries when their disabled vehicle was struck by a tanker truck on the New York State Thruway
$4.6 million for the family of a woman damaged by malpractice committed during surgery causing brain damage which resulted in her death years later
- $4.2 million in a case of a NYC Parks Department employee who suffered fatal injuries after another employee lost control of a frontloader and struck him while he was waiting for his salt truck to be loaded.
- $3.5 million settlement after a developmentally disabled man suffered fatal injuries after stepping into the street and getting struck by a bus. Although the man stepped into the street against the light, the Dansker & Aspromonte Associates team was able to establish that the victim’s developmental age was too young to understand the dangers of his actions
A Queens Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help You Secure Fair Compensation
If a loved one suffered a fatal injury because of negligence, Dansker & Aspromonte Associates wants to help. Let us protect your rights and the rights of your loved ones by handling your wrongful death case and pursuing the compensation you deserve. Contact our team right away at (212) 732-2929, so we can review your case for free today.