All motorists have a duty of care to remain focused on the road while driving. Any behavior that takes a driver’s attention away from the road could constitute distracted driving. A motorist may engage in distracted driving regularly without experiencing negative consequences, but eventually, their actions could cause a collision.
Car accidents put victims’ lives in jeopardy. If you or a loved one have been injured by a distracted driver, then you may be able to recover compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial losses. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for more information about hiring a Staten Island distracted driving accident lawyer to fight for you.
Distracted Driving Is on the Rise in New York
The primary reason not to engage in distracted driving is that it could cause injury or death to you or someone else. However, it is also worth noting that distracted driving is a violation of law in New York.
The New York State Police notes that distracted driving accidents are the leading cause of personal injuries and property damage throughout the state. The organization also reports that the number of distracted driving accidents in New York increased by more than 30,000 between 2017 and 2018.
This concerning trend highlights the dangers of distracted driving. Mobile devices are of particular concern when it comes to distracted driving, as using a mobile device may take one’s attention completely off the road.
Some of the issues that may contribute to the increasing number of distracted driving accidents include:
- An increasing number of young drivers who have grown up using mobile devices and may not understand the dangers of distracted driving
- A surge in online food delivery services, which may cause food delivery drivers to be distracted by their job-related apps
- The rise of in-car technologies that present different distractions aside from cell phone use
The Insurance Information Institute (III) explains that cell phone use was the source of distraction in 14% of fatal distracted driving accidents.
Cell phone-related distractions may include:
Engaging with Social Media
Many people view social media platforms, such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok, as an essential part of their daily life. According to Pew Research, 72% of Americans used social media in some form in February 2019, and that figure could be even greater now.
A substantial number of motorists may monitor social media while they are driving. This could contribute to the likelihood of causing an accident.
Using a Navigational Device
Certain navigational apps have safeguards against distracted driving. However, some of these safeguards do not work as intended. Drivers must only use navigational devices or apps in a way that does not distract them from driving. If they need to look at the phone’s screen, they should either pull over or wait until the car has come to a complete stop.
Making Phone Calls
Some drivers may see placing or receiving a phone call as second nature, but it could be considered distracted driving.
While on the phone, a driver may:
- Become emotionally agitated
- Become more preoccupied with their conversation than driving
- Take a hand off of the wheel in order to hold their phone
- Take their eyes off the road
There are other forms of distracted driving that could have been the cause of your car accident including actions of others inside the vehicle or outside distractions such as traffic accidents or other visual disturbances. When you hire a Staten Island distracted driving accident lawyer, they will gather evidence to determine your collision’s cause. Their findings will give them insight into who can be held accountable for your financial losses.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929. Our goal is to secure the best possible outcome after your car accident. You can talk to us today at no cost to you.
Services That Your Lawyer May Provide After an Accident
You may have become seriously injured or lost a loved one as a result of your Staten Island car accident. A lawyer from Dansker & Aspromonte Associates can help you with the process of filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim. You may be entitled to collect substantial compensation for the losses that have come from the collision.
Whether you were another motorist, a passenger, bicyclist or pedestrian, distracted driving may have resulted in your motor vehicle accident. In order to build a strong claim that protects your rights, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. If you delay, evidence may be lost or you may miss an important deadline that limits your ability to bring a claim. Follow this advice at the scene of your accident, if possible:
- Call the police
- Ask that a police report be completed
- Request medical attention at the scene
- Take photographs of your visible injuries
- Follow up with medical providers as required
- Do not give any statements to representatives of the at-fault driver
- Do not post messages or photographs on social media about the accident
- Keep all payment receipts or medical records in your possession
- Call a lawyer to understand your rights
At Dansker & Aspromonte Associates we offer a free consultation. At our meeting, we will educate you on the legal principles involved in your case and answer all of your questions. If we agree to accept your case, our office will conduct a careful and thorough investigation of the unique facts of your case, preserve evidence, file all claims in a timely manner and build a strong case for maximum recovery. While every case investigation is based upon the specific facts involved, some of the actions we may take includes:
- Obtaining copies of all police or incident reports
- Interviewing witnesses
- Securing video footage, if available
- Taking scene or vehicle damage photographs
- Consulting an expert in accident reconstruction
- Demanding sworn statements from the at-fault driver
- Gathering all hospital and medical records
- Retaining medical experts
- Requesting all employment or wages documentation, if applicable
- Calculating the cost of all financial damages
- Preparing the case for trial before a jury in court
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
The injury lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates have one goal: to get the best possible recovery for you or your loved one. If you have suffered a serious injury as the result of a negligent driver, contact our team of lawyers as soon as possible. Our lawyers have been fighting for injury victims since 1988. When we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront. We only receive compensation for our legal services when we recover financial compensation for you.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation. Don’t delay. There are deadlines that limit your rights. If you fail to file your claim on time, you may be forever prevented from receiving the benefits and compensation you deserve.