If you or a loved one was seriously injured by a negligent driver going the wrong way, then you may be entitled to compensation to help cover your expenses. A Staten Island wrong-way accident lawyer from Dansker & Aspromonte Associates is here to fight for you. We can review your financial recovery options and explain your legal rights under New York law. Additionally, we can help you decide on a course of action to recover compensation for you and your family.
To find out more about how we can help you in a free consultation, call us today at (212) 732-2929.
Know Your Options After a Wrong-Way Car Accident
A wrong-way car accident can result in serious injuries to other motorists, passengers, bicyclists, and pedestrians. After a car accident, you may be struggling to get back to the life you used to lead. Serious injuries can change your day-to-day routine in ways you had not previously imagined. Between mounting medical costs, lost wages, and your pain and suffering, you may be overwhelmed at the thought of taking on the legal process alone.
At Dansker & Aspromonte Associates, we work tirelessly to recover financial compensation for injury victims that fully compensates them for each and every type of damage they are entitled to. We will conduct a thorough and careful investigation of the unique facts and circumstances of your incident to determine which party or parties were at fault. In many instances, there can be more than one party whose negligence contributed to the accident. Once we have determined who was at fault, we will analyze the full extent of your damages, including both your physical injuries and other economic losses you have sustained and may continue to experience in the future. After this investigation, we will negotiate on your behalf for a fair and just resolution of your claims.
If we cannot reach a settlement with the at-fault party or parties, we will present your claims before a jury at trial. While most cases resolve without the need for a trial, we prepare every case for trial. By doing this, we signal to the other side that we are willing to fight for you. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today to learn more about how we can protect your rights.
Considerations After a Wrong-Way Car Accident
Since your health and safety are always a top priority, following a collision, it is important to first seek medical attention to assess your condition. Your doctor will likely provide you with information regarding your diagnosis and prognosis. You should keep all relevant documents pertaining to your medical care, as this could be used later on to prove your injury claims.
The actions you take immediately after an accident can make a difference in the strength of your claims. Follow this simple advice immediately after an accident before you contact a lawyer:
- Call the police
- Request medical attention at the scene
- Record the names and contact information of any witnesses
- Taking photos of your vehicle’s damage and your injuries
- Follow all medical advice
- Do not give any statements to representatives of the at-fault party or parties
- Do not post on social media about your accident or injuries
Filing an Insurance Claim Following a Wrong-Way Accident
The New York Department of Financial Services (DFS) reminds us that New York is a no-fault insurance state. This means that no matter what happened or who is to blame for the car accident, you are entitled to medical coverage and other benefits from your own insurance company if you were in your own vehicle at the time of the accident. If you were a pedestrian, bicyclist, or passenger in the at-fault driver’s vehicle you must file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company to seek those benefits.
In order to receive compensation for your pain and suffering and other unreimbursed expenses, however, you must first prove that your injuries are “serious”. This requirement is called the New York Serious Injury Threshold. Serious injury is defined by New York law as an injury which results in the following:
- Loss of a fetus
- A fractured bone
- Loss of a limb or organ
- Significant loss of use of a body party, system, or organ
- Permanent consequential limitation of use of a body part, system, or organ
- A non-permanent medically determined injury which prevents you from performing substantially all of your usual daily activities for 90 out of the next 180 days following your accident
How Our Lawyers Will Fight for You
If you have been seriously injured following a wrong-way accident, contact our lawyers immediately. The sooner you contact us after an accident, the sooner we can begin to investigate the unique facts and circumstances of your accident, secure evidence, file all claims in a timely manner and build a strong case for maximum financial compensation so that you can focus on your own recovery. Don’t delay since there are deadlines that limit your rights to recovery of benefits and compensation. If you fail to file your claims by these deadlines, you may be prevented from receiving the compensation you deserve. Call us today. Our consultation is free and if we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee unless we recover compensation for you.
If we agree to accept your case, we will begin a thorough and careful investigation of your accident and injuries including:
- Obtaining all police and accident reports
- Interviewing witnesses
- Conducting a site visit
- Taking photographs of the scene and vehicle damage
- Securing video footage, if available
- Consulting an expert in vehicle mechanics and accident reconstruction
- Evaluating all contributing factors including roadway design and signage
- Demanding sworn statements from all parties
- Collecting all medical and hospital records
- Retaining medical experts to evaluate the permanent effects of your injuries
- Analyzing all lost wages and economic losses
- Presenting your case to a Trial Jury, if necessary
Compensable Damages in a Staten Island Wrong-Way Accident
Our ultimate goal is to recover maximum financial compensation for you and your family that is fair and just given each and every aspect of damages you suffered and may suffer in the future.
The American Bar Association (ABA) sets forth the types of recoverable damages in a personal injury claim:
- Pain and suffering for all physical and emotional injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Unpaid medical and hospital costs
- Future medical and hospital costs
- Lost wages or diminished earning potential
- Future lost wages
- Costs of medical equipment, home adaptations, medications, and other expenses
- Property damage
- Any other out of pocket expenses resulting from the accident
Every case is different. You may be able to recover compensation for damages not included here.
Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Will Fight for You
Our lawyers have been fighting for injury victims since 1988. This is all we do.
We have recovered over $450 million in compensatory damages for our clients. Even if you are not sure whether you have a strong case, contact our office immediately for a free consultation and to discuss your rights. Even a small injury may worsen over time. Don’t delay.
Our Staten Island wrong-way accident lawyers are standing by to hear from you. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929.