If you were raped in a public housing development and the incident happened as a result of negligent security, you may be entitled to financial compensation for damages. We know you are currently facing difficulties, but we are here to help. A Staten Island rape attorney can help you investigate the cause of your attack and whether it could have been prevented if reasonable security measures were taken.
If you would like to learn more about filing a civil lawsuit for a rape in public housing and aren’t sure about your rights, you can contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates (212) 732-2929 for information and advice. Not all assaults in public housing will result in a successful claim. Quick action is necessary as there are deadlines that limit your rights. Don’t delay. Call us today.
New York City Housing Authority and Its Responsibility To Keep You Safe
The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) is legally responsible to provide residents and visitors with public housing that is reasonably safe. For the vast majority of its over 400,000 residents, NYCHA fulfills its obligations well. Unfortunately, there are exceptions resulting in preventable and inexcusable attacks because of negligent security measures.
The agencies that are responsible for overseeing the operations of public housing developments in Staten Island must ensure the properties are reasonably safe and properly secured. This can be done in many different ways, including:
- Installing surveillance cameras, such as closed-circuit television (CCTV) surveillance systems
- Hiring on-site security guards
- Only allowing residents to gain access to the property by ensuring that all doors are secure, lockable, and in good working condition
- Implementing procedures during increased occurrences of crime
Negligent security can result in a wide variety of crimes such as burglaries, trespassers, and more serious offenses such as rape. Depending on the unique circumstances of your attack, you may be entitled to substantial compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial damages.
For a free legal consultation with a rape in public housing due to negligent security lawyer serving Staten Island, call (212) 732-2929
Negligent Security Could Entitle You to a Financial Award
If an agency or landlord such as NYCHA fails to ensure their premises are secured in a way to deter crime, they could be held liable if someone suffers an injury in an assault or rape if proper security measures may have prevented the assault from occurring in the first place.
Some examples of negligent security might include:
- Poor lighting and/or no surveillance cameras
- Surveillance cameras that do not function properly
- On-site security guards who fail to monitor the property
- Failing to adapt or address increases in crime in the housing development
No landlord can prevent every criminal act from occurring. However, a careful and thorough investigation of your attack may show evidence that your attack was the result of negligence. The lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates have been fighting for the rights of injury victims in Staten Island since 1988. Even if you are not sure whether you have a strong case, call us so that we can give you advice and answer all of your questions.
Staten Island Rape in Public Housing Due to Negligent Security Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
Taking Action After Your Rape
A sexual assault is an emotionally and physically devastating attack on one’s dignity. Though it may be difficult for you, immediate action is necessary to protect your rights and bring the parties responsible to justice. If possible, the following steps will help both criminal prosecution of the attacker and a civil claim for compensation:
- Call the police and report the attack
- Demand that the police complete a police report
- Obtain medical attention immediately
- Take photographs of all visible injuries
- Cooperate with the police or District Attorney in the prosecution of the attacker
- Do not give any statements to NYCHA
- Do not post on social media about the incident
- Follow up with all prescribed medical or psychological providers
Your Time To Act Is Limited
You suffered a trauma and will need time to recover. Unfortunately, there are deadlines that limit your rights. In cases against NYCHA for example, you must file a document known as a Notice of Claim within 90 days of your assault. If you fail to file this document by the deadline, you could be prevented from recovering the compensation you deserve.
There are many other reasons to call our lawyers as soon as possible. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates at (212) 732-2929. Our consultation is free and confidential. If we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee when we recover compensation for you.
Filing a Civil Lawsuit for Negligent Security
To determine if you have a strong claim against NYCHA, a careful and thorough investigation of the details of your attack is necessary to determine if your injuries were preventable and the result of unsafe practices.
Every case is unique and must be supported by evidence. The mere fact that you were sexually assaulted is not sufficient to prove your case for negligent security by NYCHA. Dansker & Apromonte Associates has decades of experience fighting for victims just like you. In a typical case, some of the types of evidence we will gather would include:
- All police and criminal prosecution records
- Video surveillance, if available
- Witness statements
- Site photographs
- NYCHA maintenance records of all security doors and facilities
- Sworn statements of NYCHA security and maintenance personnel
- Crime and police statistics at the incident location
- Hospital and medical records
- Consultations with experts in public housing security regulations and procedures
Damages Rape Survivors in Staten Island May Be Entitled To Recover
If the evidence we uncover shows that your assault was the result of negligent security procedures, New York law may entitle you to recover fair and just compensation. You may be able to claim compensation for every type of damage you suffered including physical, emotional, and economic damages. Depending upon your own unique case, you may recover compensation for the following:
- Pain and suffering for all physical and emotional injuries
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Future pain and suffering, if your injuries are deemed permanent
- Loss of income
- Medical expenses for all treatment including therapy and medications
- Any other out of pocket expenses resulting from your injuries
If you would like to find out what damages you might be entitled to recover, our lawyers are here to discuss your rights.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Resources Available to Rape Survivors in the New York City Metropolitan Area
Rape can take an individual’s life and turn it upside down. It can be extremely difficult for a rape survivor to return to their normal life and take part in the activities they did before the incident. Because rape can affect a person in many ways, you should consider taking advantage of some available resources that can help you get through this challenging time.
Some of the resources you might consider seeking help from include:
- A rape crisis and sexual violence prevention program, available by county view on the New York State Department of Health website
- The New York City Crime Victims’ Hotline | 1-866-689-4357
Survivors of Rape in Public Housing Can Contact Us for Legal Help
At Dansker & Aspromonte Associates, we work to protect the rights of rape survivors. If you or a loved one was raped in a public housing development and there was inadequate security to help prevent the incident, our firm is ready to fight for you. We can assess your case and determine if legal action can be taken.
Not only will we help you understand your legal rights, but we will fight for you to obtain the best possible outcome in your case. Contact our office at (212) 732-2929 to learn about all the ways we can help you get through this challenging period. The consultation is free and confidential.