Whether you were struck by a vehicle or came into contact with a dangerous condition in the road, to protect your rights after a bicycle accident, follow this simple advice:
- Report your incident to the police
- If you were injured while working, report the incident to your employer
- Request medical attention at the scene or immediately thereafter
- Obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident
- Take or have someone else take photographs at the scene
- Document the cause of your bicycle accident
- Seek out ongoing medical attention to diagnose and treat your injuries
- Do not give a statement to the at-fault party before you speak to a lawyer
- Do not post on social media about your accident or injuries
- Consult a qualified and experienced lawyer
You do not have to manage the aftermath of a bicycle accident on your own. Our team of personal injury lawyers will carefully and thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and injuries, locate and preserve evidence, file all claims in a timely manner and help you build a strong claim for maximum financial compensation.
Seek Medical Attention After a Bicycle Accident
Seeking medical attention as soon as possible after an accident has two main benefits. First, medical attention will diagnose and treat your injuries. A healthcare professional can assess your condition and diagnose any accident-related impairments that could threaten your well-being.
Secondly, medical attention and testing will help us prove the full extent of your injuries so that we can demand full, fair, and just financial compensation for you.
Document Your Accident-Related Losses
As a result of your bicycle accident, you may have incurred many types of physical, emotional, and financial damages. The American Bar Association (ABA) notes that some of these damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Future pain and suffering if your injuries are found to be permanent
- Physical disfigurement or scarring
- Out of pocket medical bills
- Future medical costs for treatment, equipment, or medications
- Lost wages or disability
Documentation such as invoices, receipts, billing statements, and your employment records could help prove the cost of your economic losses. Try to keep copies of all documents relating to your damages and provide them to your lawyers.
Why Contact a Law Firm?
Not every bicycle accident will result in a strong claim. In order to protect your rights, consult a team of lawyers that has decades of experience fighting for injury victims just like you. But don’t delay since there are deadlines that limit your rights to compensation.
If you fail to file your claim by the deadline, you could be prevented from recovering the compensation you deserve. Also, the sooner you consult a lawyer, the sooner they can perform a full investigation of your accident and secure evidence before it is lost. Some examples of evidence that may be lost after your bicycle accident may include the following:
- Surveillance footage
- 9-1-1 audio transcripts
- Witness information or identification
- Proof of a dangerous condition that can be lost or repaired
How an Investigation Works
If you have been injured as the result of someone else’s negligence, a careful and thorough investigation must be started immediately. Some of the actions that will help build a strong claim for maximum compensation may include the following:
- Obtaining all police and incident reports
- Interviewing all witnesses
- Locating all video footage or 911 transcripts, if available
- Conducting a site visit and taking photographs
- Consulting experts in accident reconstruction
- Requesting all EMS, hospital, and medical records
- Demanding sworn statements from all at-fault parties
- Retaining medical experts to evaluate the full extent of your injuries
- Analyzing all lost wages and financial data
- Filing all claims in a timely manner
- Preparing your case for trial before a jury at trial in Court
Your lawyer’s number one goal is to fight for you so that you recover the maximum financial compensation based upon all of your injuries.
A Lawyer at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Can Protect Your Legal Rights
We can use our years of knowledge and experience to pursue the best possible outcome for your case. In fact, we recently had a verdict in a bicycle accident case involving a bicycle delivery rider for $6.25 million. To speak with a representative from our team for a free case review, call (212) 732-2929.