If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in New York City, the personal injury lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte can help you pursue compensation for your medical bills, wage loss, pain and suffering, and other hardships.
It’s important that you are cautious when filing auto insurance claims. The actions you take can play a big role in how much compensation you’re able to obtain.
Schedule an appointment at Dankser & Aspromonte Associates in New York, NY, so that you can consult with a personal injury attorney about your case.
The Do’s of Filing Insurance Claims
- Do get legal advice from a personal injury attorney.
- Do look over your insurance policies to see what coverage and exclusions are present.
- Do contact your insurer immediately to let them know that you’ve been in an auto accident, or when your car is stolen, damaged or other event that is covered under your policy.
- Do try to take pictures if possible of the accident, your vehicle and the injuries you’ve sustained.
- Do write down notes as you’re talking with your insurer. Keep a record of the names, job titles and contact numbers of those you speak with at the insurance company. You should also try and get the names of their supervisors as well. Make a note of what was discussed and what the representative promised to do.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – An Overview
- Auto Accident Injuries and Compensation
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists
- No-Fault Insurance
- What to Do If You Are in a Motor Vehicle Accident
- Frequently Asked Questions About Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Motor Vehicle Accidents Resource Links
- Motor Vehicle Accidents Contact Form
If you are suffering due to a motor vehicle accident injury, it is important to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer before making any statement to the insurance company.
- Do tell your insurer the full truth. This will save everyone time and effort, as well as clear up questions regarding legal liability, which can be quite complex in these cases. If you aren’t forthcoming with your insurer, this could reduce your coverage or worse, invalidate it.
- Do find out if you have addiction insurance coverage. For example, under certain situations, you may be able to receive supplemental coverage from umbrella coverage, homeowner’s insurance or another auto insurance policy.
- Do keep all of the receipts for money you spent on rental cars, medical expenses and other purchases that are connected to the auto accident.
- Do learn the difference between what you owe on your vehicle and the replacement value of your vehicle. This will be important in the event you total your car. Most insurers will only give you the cash value of your vehicle when it is totaled in an accident. However, you may owe more than that to your finance company. Having gap coverage can cover the difference. This additional coverage can be used to cover things in your car like a special sound system.
The Don’ts of Filing Insurance Claims
- Don’t accept the estimate of losses and damages given to you by the insurance company. You should first explore this on your own. You can use the assistance of a lawyer to help you with determining whether the estimate given to you by the insurer is fair.
- Don’t provide a written or recorded statement to the insurance company until you know how you want to proceed with the case. It’s important that you know your rights and the extent of your auto coverage.
- Don’t sign a waiver or release before you have obtained legal advice. Don’t allow the insurer to pressure you into signing anything because you have the right to explore your available options. Just ensure that you are mindful of the time limits set in your policy and take action accordingly.
- Don’t take any checks from your insurance company, especially if it is considered a “final payment”, unless you have already your options with a lawyer.
Get in Touch with a Personal Injury Lawyer
You have terms in your legal contract with your insurer that has to be adhered to by the insurance company. It’s your right to ensure that that happens. With the support of an attorney, you can receive guidance and advocacy for your case. Call the office of Dansker & Aspromonte Associates in New York, NY to schedule a consultation with a lawyer that’s well-versed in personal injury law.