When you visit a medical professional, you are trusting them to make the right decisions regarding your diagnosis and prescribed treatment. However, New York medical malpractice attorneys know all too well that many doctors and medical professionals are often negligent, resulting in additional pain, suffering, and even illness or death of those whose fate is in their hands.
In many cases, you or a loved one that has suffered due to medical malpractice can sue the doctor, medical facility, or hospital. But it must first be proven that negligence was indeed the cause of any errors and injury.
Understanding medical malpractice
A case can be deemed medical malpractice if the doctor or medical professional was negligent in their care, diagnosis, or during a procedure or treatment. These acts of negligence must be proven, so it is a wise choice to retain the services of a medical malpractice lawyer in New York if you feel that you have suffered unjustly due to the negligence of a medical professional.
Keep records of anything you think might be pertinent to the case, including:
- Notes detailing what the doctor or medical professionals have said to you regarding your diagnosis and treatment
- Any paperwork and information they provided you with
- Photographs of any injuries you suffered as a result of the alleged negligence
- Documentation from your health insurance provider
- Receipts for medication and hospital or doctor invoices
For a free legal consultation, call (212) 540-2981
Please keep in mind that there is also a statute of limitations in cases of New York medical malpractice, so it is important to contact a professional and experienced medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible to discuss the details of your case.