In New York, as in many major cities, bicyclists are always at risk. A bicycle accident may not seem serious, but the statistics tell a different story. In NYC in 2015:
- 4,433 bicyclists were injured in accidents with motor vehicles
- 14 bicyclists were killed in accidents involving motor vehicles
- 361 pedestrians were injured in accidents with bicyclists
- 435 bicycles were injured in bicycle-only accidents
If you’ve sustained serious injuries in a bicycle accident, reach out right now to learn more about how the experienced personal injury lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte can help. Just call 1-844-469-5291 or fill out the contact form on this page.
A free initial consultation can set your mind at ease and prepare you for the days ahead.
Liability for Bicycle Accidents
In most fatal pedestrian and bicycle accidents, the driver of a motorized vehicle is at fault. Some of the most common bicycle crash injuries in the NYC metro area include accidents involving:
- a bicyclist being hit by a driver who has run a red light
- a bicyclist being side-swiped by one who doesn’t respect the bicyclist’s space
- a driver or passenger opening a car door into a bicyclist or bicyclist’s path
Of course, when a bicycle and a car or truck collide, it is likely that the bicyclist will suffer the most severe injuries.
Bicycle Accident Injuries
Because the bicyclist is exposed during an accident, bicycle accident injuries can be severe—especially when the unprotected cyclist is involved in an accident with a motor vehicle. In a small number of cases each year, a bicyclist is killed by a motor vehicle. Some other serious injuries associated with bicycle accidents include:
In some cases, these injuries are life-altering, or require long-term medical care, recovery and physical therapy or rehabilitation.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
In addition to the risk created by the heavy traffic and aggressive driving that is common to New York, the large number of bike messengers and delivery cyclists further increase the incidence of bicycle accidents in the city.
The traffic extends far beyond those making their livings on bicycles. More than three quarters of a million New Yorkers ride bicycles at least several times each month. Designated bike lanes have been shown to reduce bicycle accidents by 40% or more, but the vast majority of New York City streets do not offer bicyclists protected space.
Bike Messenger Accidents
Bicycle messengers and bicycle delivery riders are at a special risk, and not just because they move fast and spend a lot of time riding. Most bicycle messengers and bicycle delivery drivers in New York—even those who work through large companies like Uber—are independent contractors. That usually means:
- No company-sponsored medical insurance to cover treatment after a bicycle accident
- No workers’ compensation to assist with medical expenses or limitations on earnings
- No short-term or long-term disability to replace lost wages during recovery
That’s difficult for anyone to weather, but all the more so for someone whose livelihood depends on physical strength and speed.
Work with an Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, it’s important that you get legal advice as soon as possible.
If you’ve been hit by a car while cycling, for example, you will likely receive a call from the driver’s insurance company shortly after your accident. At that point, you may not be fully aware of important information such as:
- Careless or unlawful actions on the part of the driver
- The extent of your injuries and necessary future medical care
- How long it will be before you are able to return to work
Of course, that insurance company representative’s job isn’t to help you: it’s to save the insurance company money. When you hire an experienced personal injury attorney like the ones at Dansker & Aspromonte, that lawyer’s job is to protect your rights and fight for the best settlement or verdict possible for you.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers Serving Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens and the greater NYC Metro Area
When it comes to pursuing a claim that may impact your access to quality medical care or to pay for day-to-day living expenses during your recovery, experience counts.
At Dansker & Aspromonte, we have the experience and the expert resources necessary to:
- Thoroughly examine the incident
- Identify any and all responsible parties
- Determine whether the driver of a motor vehicle or another party was negligent
- Assess your damages, including the possibility of long-term medical care and employment limitations
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, call us today at 1-844-469-5291 or fill out the contact form on this page. Your initial consultation is free.
Why Should You Choose D & A Law:
- No Fees until we win or settle
- Maximum compensation for Accident victims
- Over 95% Success rate at trial
New York Bicycle Accident Attorney
New York Bicycle Accident Attorney at Dansker&Aspromonte provides experienced and skilled representation for bicycle, bike accident victims in New York City. Call us today!