Let an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Work for You
There are a variety of commercial vehicles traversing New York City’s roadways at any point in time. Semis, trucks, and delivery vehicles are supposed to operate at a high level of care, but sadly, these operators often prioritize schedules ahead of safety. This can lead to a variety of problems, and when a commercial vehicle driver’s negligence causes an accident, you deserve fair and full compensation for your injuries.
Responsibilities of Truck & Commercial Drivers
In the State of New York and the rest of the U.S., commercial drivers are required to meet safety regulations that don’t necessarily apply to other drivers on the road. For example, delivery drivers need to comply with hours-of-service laws in order to prevent driver fatigue and vehicle negligence accidents. Trucking companies also have a duty to hire qualified drivers, to perform periodic drug tests, and to provide proper training to ensure roadway safety.
Commercial carriers, including trucks, taxis, delivery vehicles, and shuttle vans, are responsible if their negligence – or the negligence of their drivers – injures innocent people. At Dansker & Aspromonte, our experienced attorneys will conduct a prompt and thorough investigation to determine if the driver and employer complied with any applicable federal or New York State laws. If a violation occurred, we will pursue the case to get you the full amount of compensation that you deserve, need, and are legally entitled to receive.
Truck and Commercial Vehicle Accidents: Who is at Fault?
Accidents involving commercial vehicles can result from a number of factors, including reckless and careless driving. An experienced personal injury attorney will evaluate liability issues, as distributors, retailers, vehicle manufacturers, drivers, and even government entities are all parties that could be held liable after a commercial vehicle accident. Some common causes of these accidents include:
- Driving errors. Truck drivers that take risks, ignore the right-of-way, or break safety laws put everyone on the road in danger. Speeding, following too closely, or making last-minute lane changes are all common causes of commercial vehicle accidents.
- Human errors. Commercial vehicle drivers are required to operate these vehicles with 100% of their ability, but issues like inadequate training, sleep deprivation, and intoxication can lead to accidents.
- Environmental issues. Road maintenance, poor highway design, and failure to upkeep signage and other safety-related structures could lead to a commercial vehicle accident. In these cases, a government agency may also be liable.
- Mechanical failures or defects. These problems may include defective brake or electrical systems, improper tire inflation, upkeep neglect, and more.
The truck driver might not be the only party at fault in your accident, and the right attorney will help you sort out who the responsible parties are. In addition to the person behind the wheel, other liable parties may include:
- The commercial vehicle owner. When an accident involving a commercial vehicle occurs, the owner is usually liable.
- The freight owner. If an accident results from improper cargo packaging, the owner of the freight could be found liable.
- The employer. Employers are liable for accidents caused by employees while on the job.
- Vehicle or equipment manufacturers. If a mechanical failure leads to an accident – such as the malfunction of a lever or gear on a flatbed truck – the manufacturer could be held responsible for the accident.
At Dansker & Aspromonte, our personal injury attorneys will help you identify whether a corporation or self-insured defendant is liable for your commercial vehicle accident.
Compensation for Truck & Commercial Vehicle Accidents
If you are injured in a truck or commercial vehicle accident, you may be wondering how much you can be compensated for your injuries and damages. The amount that your case is worth will depend on a variety of factors, some of which include:
- Insurance coverage
- State where the accident occurred and where the lawsuit was filed
- The severity of your injuries
- Your age
- Your occupation
Compensation after a truck or commercial vehicle accident can include more than just your medical expenses, and an experienced personal injury attorney will help you to get the maximum possible award. This may include:
- Emotional suffering
- Lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Other damages
At Dansker & Aspromonte, our team of highly experienced attorneys represents people who have been injured in truck and commercial accidents throughout New York City. This includes accidents in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, Staten Island, and the surrounding areas. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for our clients over the last 35 years and are ready to add you to that list of success stories.
Hire an Experienced New York Commercial Accident Attorney with a Track Record of Success
In our 35 years of practice experience, the attorneys at Dansker & Aspromonte have represented numerous motorists in legal cases against truck and commercial vehicle drivers. We have been involved in a variety of high-profile cases, including a widely reported case involving a tractor trailer on the New York State Thruway.
If you or someone that you love is involved in a truck or commercial vehicle, the best decision you can make is to call us at Dansker & Aspromonte. With a trial success rate of over 95%, we have the experience that you want on your side during a personal injury lawsuit. We will work hard to get you the compensation that you deserve, and you won’t have to pay any fees until your case is settled or won.