New York City is a great place to explore on a motorcycle. Motorcycles are extremely fuel efficient and can provide a sense of excitement that can’t be matched in a traditional car or truck. Unfortunately, this mode of transportation is inherently more dangerous than traveling in an enclosed vehicle, and when motor vehicle accidents occur, the injuries involved are usually severe.
If you were recently involved in a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced New York motorcycle accident attorney on your side. You should seek legal representation as soon as possible – regardless of the severity of your injuries. With over three decades of legal experience and a dedication to achieve positive outcomes for all of our clients, Dansker & Aspromonte should be your first choice for legal representation.
Did you know that motorcyclists are nearly 26 times more likely to die in a crash than a person in a car or truck, and they are 5 times more likely to be injured? While the number of fatalities for people in automobiles has declined steadily since 1999, the fatality rate for motorcyclists involved in accidents has more than doubled since then. In addition to the obvious lack of physical protection, motorcyclists face some unique problems while on the road:
While proper training, wearing reflective motorcycle gear, and adequate motorcycle maintenance can help to reduce the chance of a motorcycle accident, no amount of preparation will be able to completely eliminate the risk of a crash.
Since motorcycles have no protection against external forces, riders often sustain severe and brutal injuries as a result of an accident. Some of the most common injuries include:
In some cases, if the upper or lower extremities sustain severe damage, motorcyclists may require amputation. Regardless of the extent of your injury, if you are involved in a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced attorney on your side to fight for the compensation that you deserve.
The leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident is head injury, so wearing a helmet is a necessity for any motorcycle operator. In the State of New York, it is also the law – anyone that is operating a motorcycle in New York needs to wear a DOT-approved helmet with eye protection.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, one of the first things that your insurance company or the insurer of another motorist will want to know is whether or not you were wearing a helmet. If you were not, and it is thought that the absence of a helmet may have contributed to your injuries, you may be barred from receiving a portion of your eligible compensation.
New York follows a comparative negligence system. This provides that those injured in a motorcycle accident may still recover a percentage of damages for which they weren’t responsible. For example, if it is determined that you were 10% responsible for your injuries, possibly due to failure to wear a helmet, you still may be able to recover the remaining 90% of your damages from another liable party. A motorcycle accident attorney can help you to navigate these complexities.
At Dansker & Aspromonte, we have handled motorcycle cases for all parties involved, including operators and pedestrians that have been struck by motorcycles. We have won millions of dollars for motorcycle accident victims, allowing them to move on with their lives. From medical expenses to lost wages and the recovery of personal effects, we work hard to get you the maximum award on your case.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, let one of our NYC personal injury attorneys evaluate your case. We offer free consultations and will determine if you have a viable cause of action that we can help you to pursue. We never charge fees until your case is either won or settled.