When we place our loved ones in nursing homes, we expect the staff members to provide for their needs and protect them from harm. All too often, however, nursing homes and their employees fail to provide for the basic needs of the residents. This type of negligence forces our loved ones to live in pain and fear, when they should be enjoying peace and comfort.Regardless of the cause, nursing home negligence is tragic.
Dansker & Aspromonte Associates are passionate advocates for neglected and abused nursing home residents. We understand how difficult it is to learn your loved one has suffered in this way, and we are prepared to help.
One of the most prevalent factors leading to nursing home neglect in New York is understaffing. When nursing homes cut corners and fail to hire an adequate number of staff members, there are simply not enough people on hand to properly care for the residents.
At Dansker & Aspromonte the types of nursing home cases we handle include:
- Bedsores are painful ulcers that form when a person who is physically unable or too weak to move themselves are allowed to sit or lie in one position too long. Bedsores should never happen. They typically occur on the buttocks, back, heels and head when the resident is left lying on his or her back without being moved periodically but they can develop on any part of the body that is left in contact with the bed or chair without proper movement and supervision. Bedsores can worsen rapidly and the wounds could widen and go through the flesh to the bone. If inadequate care of your loved one is suspected, you should check all the covered areas of his or her body and if anything is detected, pictures documenting the condition should be taken immediately.
- Restraint injuries: Unfortunately, one way nursing homes deal with residents that are perceived to be toomobile or uncooperative is to restrain them. Many times this is not necessary and inhumane. Improper use of physical restraints such as wrist or bed restraints, as well as chemical restraints such as sedatives, can lead to serious injury.
- Nursing home falls: A leading cause of injury in nursing homes is falls. Falls can be the result of negligent maintenance of the premises such as slippery floors or obstacles in walkways, the failure to properly supervise or safely restrain residents, or in the failure to properly assist residents moving about in the nursing home or moving into and out of beds and chairs.
- Malnutrition/Dehydration: Nursing home residents are often unable to feed or hydrate themselves and are also unable to communicate their hunger and thirst. Nursing home staff are not always responsible and diligent in providing for the needs of residents and in properly monitoring their physical and mental conditions.
- Wandering off: Nursing homes can sometimes leave residents unattended for long periods of time or they can be lax in maintaining a knowledge of the whereabouts and activities of the residents.During this time, they may wander off the premises, where they are exposed to the dangers of the outside world, including accidents, robberies and assaults.
- Nursing home physical abuse: In some instances, treatment of the residents constitutes physical abuse. These actions can include hitting, beating, burning or sexually assaulting residents.
Whatever the cause of your loved one’s nursing home injury, our attorneys will work diligently to pursue the compensation for his or her losses and to hold the negligent party or parties accountable.
Experienced Nursing Home Negligence and Abuse Lawyers
Serving Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and the NYC Metro Area
If your loved one has suffered due to nursing home negligence or abuse, our law firm is here to help. Contact us today online or by telephone at 212-732-2929 to speak with us for a knowledgeable New York City nursing home negligence attorney.
Experienced New York City Nursing Home Negligence and Abuse Lawyers
Serving the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, Manhattan and the NYC Metro Area and beyond.
We have a great deal of experience with Nursing Home Negligence and Abuse cases, and we will welcome your inquiries and questions about these matters. To schedule a free consultation with a Nursing Home Negligence and Abuse attorney, contact us online or call 212-732-2929.