It is estimated that there are over 600,000 dogs in New York City. It is up to dog owners to keep their dogs from attacking anyone, but when they don’t, it is up to them to pay for damages.
Dog Attacks in New York City
Every year, millions of innocent people, old and young, are injured or even die from dog bite attacks. If you or someone close to you has suffered a dog attack and don’t know what to do, it is best to contact a lawyer who specializes in dog bite injuries in the city. Our team at Dansker&Aspromonte will guide you through all the steps needed to claim compensation for your suffering.
We understand that people who are victims of dog bite attacks have many questions and may fear what the future holds for them and their families. We have represented hundreds of such victims and understand what you are going through. We will guide you through what to expect during a claim process and what to do when you have been attacked.
Who Is Responsible for Dog Bite Attacks?
In our city, dog owners are required to pay for medical expenses incurred because of their dog attacking another person. If the owner should have known, or knew, that the dog had vicious tendencies or was dangerous, he or she is responsible for:
- All injuries
- Permanent damages
Signs that a dog is vicious include:
- Patterns of growling
- The dog has bitten before
- Showing of teeth
- The nature and result of the attack
When we review your dog bite case, we will explore the circumstances of the attack and work with investigators to find evidence that proves the dangerous nature of the dog. This helps us to fight for maximum compensation for you.
Know the Dangerous Breeds
The most dangerous dog breeds, as set out by the Centers for Disease Control are:
- Pit bulls
- Great Danes
- German shepherds
- Doberman pinschers
- Saint Bernards
- Alaskan malamutes
Smaller breeds can also be vicious. Small dog owners often ignore their little dog’s behavior, thinking they won’t hurt anyone, but little dogs can do as much harm as bigger dogs.
While you cannot predict when a dog will bite, take the following into account:
- If a toddler or infant is left alone with a dog, there could be a dangerous situation. Young children could grab onto a dog without realizing they are hurting the animal. A dog will then bite to protect itself from pain and to get the child to stop pulling.
- It a dog is trained to attack or treated badly, it could bite someone. Any owner can turn their dog into a dangerous creature and it is often the case that the owner is responsible, not the dog.
Overall, any dog can be a wonderful pet, even if it is on the dangerous breed list. A responsible owner wins the respect of the dog with mutual respect and love and a dangerous dog cannot be determined by breed alone.
What Should You Do If You Are Attacked?
To protect yourself in a dog attack:
- Don’t make eye contact with a dangerous dog
- Avoid fighting or arguing with the owner of an aggressive breed
- If you are jogging, stop and pass by the dog slowly, avoiding sudden movements and eye contact
- If a dog is attacking you, kick it in the rib cage which will knock the wind out of him, stunning him long enough for you to get away and shout for help
- If a dog approaches you barking and growling, stand tall and command that the dog “Sit” or “stay.”
- If you’re being attacked, punch the dog in the nose, twist and pull its ears, or poke it in the eyes
- Always keep your hands down so as not to provoke the dog attack
- Pit bulls are, sadly, notorious for dog attacked. If one attacks you, their first instinct is typically to grab and latch on. Remain standing, but if you do fall down, curl up into the fetal position and cover the back of your neck and your ears with your arms and hands for protection
- If you are attacked by a small dog, kick it in the body or nose to stop it attacking you
- If a dog seems confused, looks wild-eyes and crazy, or is biting stationary objects, or if you notice thick saliva covering its chest, the dog may have rabies. In this case, call the police as soon as possible
- If you are attacked by a larger dog, assume a fighting stance. Put one leg in front of the other to protect your inner body and, if you can, use your shoes as a weapon. If you do fall, though, you will lose the height advantage.
Teaching Children to be Safe
All too often, children succumb to dog attacks. There are several precautions you can take to promote child safety and teach your child to be wary of dogs. Children should not:
- Try to kiss a dog on the face
- Approach or hug a dog from behind
- Stare directly into a dog’s eyes
- Touch the dog’s food bowl
- Pull on the dog’s body
Teach your child to ask permission from a dog owner before petting or touching a dog and when they do so, teach them to always put their hand out first to allow the dog to sniff them.
Most importantly, parents should teach children what to do if they are threatened by a dog. These steps include:
- Do not turn and run away
- Remain calm
- Avoid screaming
- Speak firmly yet calmly
- Stay as still as possible until the dog leaves
- Slowly back away until the dog is out of sight
- Do not make eye contact with the dog
- If the dog knocks the child to the ground, teach them to curl into a ball and cover their face, neck, and head with their hands
It is up to adults to do as much as possible to promote dog bite child safety. While we don’t have control over when and where a dog could decide to attack, we can provide children with the correct knowledge of what to do if they are faced by a vicious dog.
Dog Bit Attack Personal Injury Lawyers in New York
Dansker&Aspromonte serve the NYC Metro area and surrounds. If you or someone close to you has been bitten in a dog attack in the City, let our lawyers help you seek the compensation you deserve.
- We have 35 years of experience
- We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for clients
- We have a 95% success rate at trial
- We don’t charge fees until we settle or win your case
Our experienced team will help you determine the circumstances around your case and fight for your suffering. Get in touch with us today either online or at 800-510-9695 to book a consultation to talk to an experience attorney in New York City.
Don’t become a victim of a dog attack unnecessarily, arm yourself and your family with the above information.