Bike Accident Settlements in New York
Riding a bike to school, work, and on errands is very common in New York. It’s a great way to save money on gas and also cuts down on time in traffic. Unfortunately, biking in New York’s cities can also prove to be dangerous. Although you’re riding a bike, you still have to deal with vehicles, pedestrians, and other bike riders. Collisions can happen, causing serious injury to the biker and others. When this happens, you should contact an injury attorney NYC. It’s important that you understand your rights as well as your duties as a biker.
There are many different types of bike accidents that can occur in New York:
- Cars colliding with bikers
- Bikers hitting pedestrians
- Bikers colliding with other bikers
- Bikers being side-swiped by vehicles
- Bikers being doored by vehicles
- Cars cutting off bikers/bikers cutting off cars, resulting in an accident
- Bikers falling on a property that isn’t properly maintained
When you’re injured in a bike accident, it’s important that you consult with a New York injury lawyer about your case.
Settlements and Verdicts for Bike Accident Cases in New York
By working with an injury lawyer NYC, you have a better chance of winning compensation for your pain and suffering. Here are examples of others who have won settlements for their bike accidents:
- In the case of Xue J v. Dollar Rent a Car, a 26-year-old bike deliveryman was struck by a speeding van, causing multiple fractures in his neck, back, arm, and leg as well as mild brain damage. The verdict in this case was for $6.25 million.
A 43 year old woman was severely injured when she rode into a construction ditch under an overpass on the tranverse in Central Park. She had multiple facial injuries and surgeries. A jury awarded $3.3 million. This was affirmed on appeal.
- A 35-year-old model, photographer, and artist was riding her bike when she skidded on rocks that were on the road. The rocks came from a NYC Department of Environmental Protection excavation that wasn’t properly covered and secured. She fell off her bike, sustaining a mild traumatic brain injury. The verdict in this case was for $900,000.
- A 25-year-old immigrant from Mexico was riding his bike on a one way street when a pick-up truck sideswiped him, fracturing his big toe and causing knee injuries that required surgery. The case was settled before trial for $150,000.
Consult with a New York Injury Lawyer
By consulting with a New York injury lawyer, you can learn about your rights and the possible outcomes for your particular case. With the right legal representation, you can improve your chances of winning in court. Not all law firms are alike. Contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today to receive a free consultation.