As of 2021, the biggest personal injury settlements in New York State history include:
- $85 million after author and former New York Times columnist Devan Sipher suffered injuries in a pedestrian-bus accidents
- $71 million for former Cornell University student Morgan Wang after sustaining spinal cord injuries in a head-on collision
Although the legal battles are behind these two victims, they face a lifetime of struggle to live normal lives. Their and their families’ quality of life has forever changed. If it had not been for a New York personal injury lawyer in each case, they might not have received the financial compensation required to get future medical and other expenses covered.
A Personal Injury Lawsuit—What Is It?
Automobile accidents, slip and falls, work-related injuries, medical malpractice, dental malpractice, sports injuries, and defective products are among the most common personal injury lawsuits. A personal injury lawsuit’s purpose is to recover fair and reasonable compensation to cover past and future expenses for an injured victim’s lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
The damage caused by injuries can be severe, endangering a person’s future with debilitating effects. Common injuries resulting in personal injury lawsuits are:
- Head and brain injuries (traumatic brain injury or TBI is the most severe of the two)
- Back and neck
- Spinal cord
- Dog bites/attacks
- Exposure to toxic/harmful chemicals or materials, such as asbestos poisoning
- Carpal tunnel
In New York State’s personal injury lawsuit history, many cases have unique rulings. For this article, we will look at two New York City cases, in particular.
For a free legal consultation, call (212) 540-2984
$85 Million for Devan Sipher After Bus Accident Injuries
On July 3, 2015, 54-year-old Devan Sipher was hit by a 13-ton double-decker bus. While he was crossing the street after the walking signal prompted him to go, the bus driver turned left on West 4th Street and 6th Avenue and struck him.
Mr. Sipher suffered the following serious injuries:
- Superficial femoral artery transection, which was fixed
- Femoral vein transection, which could not be fixed
- Loss of motor and sensory function on his left arm and leg
- A foot drop
- Fractured right clavicle
- Adrenal gland injury, so he is to take steroids the rest of his life
- Neurological pain
He underwent nine surgeries within his 78-day stay in the hospital—two after his medical team discharged him. When the five-week trial adjourned in December 2018, he obtained $85 million: $45 million for past pain and suffering and $40 million for expected pain and suffering.
$71 million for Morgan Wang, Who Suffered Spinal Cord Injuries After a Car Accident
On August 20, 2012, 24-year-old Morgan Wang was a passenger driving to Cornell University. The driver, Neil Sexton fell asleep while driving and hit another vehicle head-on on State Route 79.
Ms. Wang suffered spinal cord injuries and now has no feeling in his lower legs. She uses a brace to help her walk, but she expects to be confined to a wheelchair. This accident affected her physically and mentally, as she reportedly sought rehabilitation for depression.
In October 2017, A jury awarded her a $71 million verdict: $11 million for past and future pain and suffering and the remainder for expected medical expenses.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
What Steps Should You Take If You are Injured in New York State?
After you have received any necessary immediate medical attention, begin to collect evidence from your accident.
- If there were witnesses, get their contact information.
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Gather all your medical records.
- If injuries are work-related, inform your employer immediately and fill out any required forms.
- Talk to your insurance company and an injury lawyer.
- If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer, we can help.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How the Personal Injury Lawyers at Our Firm Can Serve You
If you hire our team to help with your case, we will pursue the best possible award while you focus on your recovery.
- Keep in touch with you throughout your case
- Collect and review evidence, including police reports, statements from eyewitnesses, photographs and video surveillance, relevant medical records
- Determine how the at-fault party failed to uphold their duty of care and caused your injuries
- Identify and quantify your losses
- Speak with the liable party and their representatives on your behalf
- Hire experts to prove fault and your damages
- Take charge of settlement negotiations
- Follow state deadlines imposed by CVP § 214
- File and represent you in court at trial before a jury, if necessary
Your personal injury lawyer on our team will take on all these services for you on a contingency-fee-basis, so you are not required to pay us up front. Our payment only comes out of the compensation you are awarded.
Get Help from Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
Every case is unique. Even if you have suffered less serious injuries than those discussed above, you may still have the right to recover substantial compensation.
To learn more about protecting your rights, reach out to Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today. We will offer you a free consultation when you call us. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin to fight for you.