What Happens if Your Spinal Cord Is Damaged?
MedlinePlus explains that the most serious outcomes of a spinal cord injury are paralysis or death. This may occur when an injury prevents the nerves in your spinal cord from transmitting signals below the part of the spine affected by the injury. What happens if your spinal cord is damaged may depend on:
- The specific nature of your injury
- The severity of your injury
- Where on your spinal cord the injury occurs
- Your response to treatment
- The medical care which you have access to
Injuries to the spinal cord must be treated with extreme care, as the result of inflicting further injury could be irreparable harm.
Possible Consequences of Spinal Cord Injury
The Mayo Clinic notes that there are two general categories of spinal cord injury—complete and incomplete. The type of injury that you or your loved one suffered may depend on the extent of the spinal cord damage and where on the spinal cord did the injury occur.
Mayo Clinic states that a spinal cord injury is complete if it causes you to lose all sensation and muscle control in areas of the body at or below where the injury occurred on your spinal cord. An incomplete spinal cord injury may be marked by varying degrees of sensation and muscle control in the areas affected by your injury.
Suffering damage to your spinal cord may affect your life in several ways. Whether your injury is complete or not may also impact the specific consequences that you face. In either case, the following may happen if your spinal cord is damaged:
- You may be unable to work for a significant period of time
- You may not be able to work again
- You may have to transition fields of work to accommodate your spinal cord injury
- You may only be able to work in a limited capacity
- You may not be able to walk again, or may permanently lose usage of other body parts
- You may require a part- or full-time caregiver
- You may require regular rehabilitation
- You may face substantial healthcare costs, as the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation notes that costs from a spinal cord injury can be hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more)
- You may experience psychological and emotional effects related to your injury
Suffering the symptoms of spinal cord injury can have a devastating effect on your ability to live your life. If your injury was the result of the fault of another, you may be entitled to bring a personal injury action demanding fair and just financial compensation for your damages.
Possible Causes of Spinal Cord Injury
A spinal cord injury may occur in a variety of settings and circumstances. Some of the ways that damage to your spinal cord may have happened include:
- An object or objects falling on you at work or another location
- A fall
- Car accident
- Bike, scooter, skateboarding, or motorcycle accident
- A medical error
- An assault
- A sports accident
- Defective safety equipment
If your spinal cord injury happened in a way that you know or believe may have been preventable, then you may be entitled to compensation from any party responsible for your injuries. Every case is unique, however. Even if you are not sure whether you have a right to bring a claim, call the lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates to learn more about your rights. Our lawyers have been fighting for injury victims since 1988.
If you agree to retain our team, you will not be asked to pay us any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee when you receive a financial recovery. Call or text (646) 692-0204 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form.
Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Lawyers Will Pursue Compensation for You
Dealing with the new realities of a spinal cord injury can be time-consuming, emotionally draining, and generally complicated. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates for a free consultation. We will discuss your case with you and answer any questions you have. If we agree to accept your case, we will begin to investigate the facts and circumstances of your case, preserve evidence, file all claims in a timely manner, and build a strong case for maximum financial compensation so that you can focus on your own recovery.
Some of the actions that our lawyers may take include:
- Gathering all accident or incident reports
- Interviewing all witnesses
- Performing an accident site visit
- Taking location photographs
- Securing video footage of the incident, if available
- Demanding sworn statements from all involved parties
- Filing all claims for benefits and compensation in a timely manner
- Consulting experts in accident reconstruction
- Collecting all hospital and medical records
- Retaining medical experts
- Evaluating all lost wages and economic losses
- Analyzing the long term cost of medical care
- Determining liability for your losses based on legal standards
- Documenting the effects that your injury has had on you and your loved ones
- Negotiating with the at-fault party or parties for a fair and just settlement
- Presenting your case at trial before a jury in Court
The legal process may be complex and stressful, but you do not have to worry about this if you retain us to fight for you.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates to Begin on the Path Toward Justice
The team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates will use our decades of experience and dedication to help you recover fair compensation for each and every type of damage you suffered and may continue to suffer in the future. Don’t delay. The sooner you contact our team, the sooner we may be able to begin working on your case.
Call today at (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation.
“Your ability speaks for itself and you worked meticulously with all of your heart and conscientiousness.”
Innovative Legal StrategiesEach client that comes to our team gets a managing partner and trial partner dedicated to their case. We put our collective 100 years of experience behind your case to obtain the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Small Firm Dedication & FocusOur firm is different from most firms in our area in that we are a “boutique” type firm that is small enough to give personal attention to our clients and yet experienced and powerful with a reputation as a hard-hitting litigation firm.
Providing Answers & SolutionsOur team is committed to always being able to provide you with updates on your case and answers to your questions. This is your case and we want to be sure you are confident every step of the way.
Proven Record of SuccessDansker & Aspromonte has been advocating for the rights of the injured since 1986. We have the tools, resources, knowledge, and commitment to get you the best possible outcome.