Before anything else, if you are involved in a car accident you should consider your personal safety. Your health comes before any sort of insurance claim or legal action.
Accordingly, you should stop where you are and call 9-1-1 immediately following the accident. This gives the police and paramedics the opportunity to arrive at the scene, document the facts of the accident, and determine if you require medical treatment. Even if you feel that you have sustained only minor injuries, it is usually a good idea to be checked at the scene.
Additional Steps You Should Take at The Scene of an Accident
At the scene of a car accident, you can follow a few key steps, including:
- Share insurance information and contact information with the other drivers involved in the collision.
- Do your best to document the scene of the accident by taking videos and pictures of the roadway conditions, vehicle damage, weather conditions, and any other factors that may have contributed to the accident.
- Give a detailed record of the accident to the police. Their report will be very useful if you decide to bring a case against the other individuals involved in your accident. Be careful not to make any statements that admit your own fault before you speak to a lawyer.
- Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible so they can begin the claims process. Reporting the accident to your own insurance company if you were a driver is also required by most insurance policies.
- As long as it is safe to do so, you should preserve the scene of the accident and protect yourself from additional impacts. Turn on your hazard lights and attempt to move your vehicle out of the roadway if your vehicle is operational, but do not flee the scene of the accident.
- Consider working with a car accident attorney. An attorney with our firm can advise you on the steps to take to protect your rights.
For a free legal consultation, call (212) 732-2929
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Your Case?
Car accident lawyers are there to assist you with insurance claims, lawsuits, and many other services in the field of personal injury law. Ultimately, they can help ease your legal burdens while you fight for compensation. Most importantly, they can work on your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
A car accident lawyer with our firm can offer the following services during your fight for justice:
- Providing advice on all aspects of the claims process including filing for benefits for lost wages and medical expenses
- Gathering information and evidence about your car accident and using this information to help them build a strong claim
- Negotiating with the various parties involved with your case so you do not have to do so
- Teaching you about car accident law in your area and advising you about your legal options
- Providing civil litigation services if your case goes to court
- Fighting for the best financial recovery for all of your injuries and damages
You May Be Able to Recover Compensation Even if You Contributed to Your Accident
Every car accident case is unique. Sometimes there is more than one person at fault for an accident and you can still receive compensation for your injuries, even if you contributed to your own car accident. This legal concept is known as “comparative negligence,” according to the New York State Senate.
Even if you are not sure whether you have the right to bring a claim, speak to an experienced lawyer to understand your rights. In New York, if you sustained “serious” personal injuries as the result of another person’s fault, you may have the right to recover substantial financial compensation for your pain and suffering, lost wages, medical expenses, and many other financial damages.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Our Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You Seek Justice
If you were involved in a car accident and sustained “serious” personal injuries due to the negligence of another driver, our lawyers are ready to help. But don’t delay as there are deadlines that limit your rights to benefits and financial compensation. If you fail to bring your claims by certain deadlines, you may be prevented from recovering what you deserve. Call today.
For more information about our legal services for car accident victims, contact a Dansker & Aspromonte Associates representative today to get started with your free consultation. We accept all cases on a contingency basis which means that we do not require that you pay us any money upfront. Our firm only earns a fee when you recover compensation.