What Treatment Options Are There for Spinal Cord Injuries?
The National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) explains that there are immediate and long-term treatment options for spinal cord injuries.
Immediately after an injury, medical professionals may treat you by:
- Immobilizing your body (your spine in particular)
- Transporting you to a medical facility
- Collecting images of your spine
- Realigning your spine, if appropriate
- Surgically removing one or more vertebrae to relieve pressure
- Surgically removing other damaging entities, such as disks or bone fragments
This may be only the beginning of treatment for your spinal cord injury, as you may undergo rehabilitation, experimental therapies, and other treatments to recover from your condition.
Other Forms of Treatment for Spinal Cord Injuries
NINDS also notes the potential value of therapy in the wake of a spinal cord injury. The type of therapy that is appropriate for you will rest on the details of your impairment, as no two spinal cord trauma cases are the same.
According to NINDS, you may receive therapy:
- To improve your physical condition
- To work on specific skills, as your motor function may be negatively affected by your spinal cord injury
- To gain emotional support
- With help from psychological counselors
- With assistance from one or more physicians
The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NIH) notes that treatment options for spinal cord injuries may be more far-reaching than some may realize. The organization notes that therapy may help those with spinal cord injuries learn how to use the restroom independently, cope with the pain associated with their injury, eat properly, and recover other life skills.
Coping with the effects of a spinal cord injury may be extremely difficult. In addition to your injury, you may also develop mental health conditions (such as anxiety or depression) as a result of your condition. As you learn to adapt to a new quality of life, a lawyer can assist you in several ways.
For a free legal consultation, call (646) 692-0204
An Injury Lawyer Can Help You Recover Compensation
As you fight to regain your physical abilities and move forward, a lawyer can serve your interests in many ways. They can help you recover fair compensation from the party who was responsible for causing your spinal cord injury.
Hiring a lawyer may not cost you anything. The American Bar Association (ABA) explains that many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis.
This arrangement means that:
- A lawyer agrees to take payment for their services out of the settlement money they get for you.
- You do not pay your lawyer anything upfront or on an hourly basis.
- Your lawyer will not receive payment for their attorney’s fees unless they “win” your case.
Once you hire a lawyer, they will familiarize themselves with how your spinal cord injury happened. They will listen to your account of events, review evidence, speak with witnesses, and then determine who may be liable for the harm you suffered.
Some of the specific services that a lawyer provides may include:
- Gathering all police or incident reports
- Securing evidence such as video footage of your accident, if available
- Speaking to witnesses
- Taking photographs at the accident site and of your injuries
- Consulting experts in accident reconstruction or prevention
- Demanding sworn statements from all at-fault parties
- Reviewing all hospital and medical injuries
- Filing all claims in a timely manner
- Retaining medical experts
- Collecting proof of all out of pocket expenses
- Analyzing all economic losses such as lost wages
- Negotiating with representatives of the at-fault party or parties
- Preparing your case for presentation at trial before a jury, if necessary
Recovering Compensation Following a Spinal Cord Injury
A spinal cord injury can have a catastrophic effect on your ability to live your life. Besides causing severe physical and emotional injury, spinal injuries can be extremely expensive, as the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation explains. You may be entitled to substantial compensation from the liable parties to help recover the cost of your medical care and other expenses.
Though every case is unique, New York law generally permits you to recover a fair and just amount of money for each and every type of damage you sustained because of the negligence of another including:
- Pain and suffering for all physical and emotional injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of services around the home
- Mental anguish
- Future pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Loss of pension or retirement benefits
- Medical and hospital expenses
- Future medical care
- Cost of daily assistance required because of your injuries
- The cost of adaptations to your home, medical equipment, and transportation
- Any other out of pocket expenses resulting from your spinal injuries
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
The team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates has decades of experience fighting for injury victims just like you. We will protect your rights and aim to secure the best possible outcome for you and your loved ones. While you fight to recover from your injuries, we will ensure that you obtain the fair and just financial compensation to which you are entitled.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation. Do not delay however as there are deadlines that limit your rights to recover certain benefits and monetary compensation. If you fail to file your claims in a timely manner, you may be prevented from receiving the benefits and compensation you deserve. If we agree to accept your case, you will not be asked to pay us any money upfront. We only earn a fee when you recover compensation. Call us today.
Innovative Legal StrategiesEach client that comes to our team gets a managing partner and trial partner dedicated to their case. We put our collective 75 years of experience behind your case to obtain the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Small Firm Dedication & FocusOur firm is different from most firms in our area in that we are a “boutique” type firm that is small enough to give personal attention to our clients and yet experienced and powerful with a reputation as a hard-hitting litigation firm.
Providing Answers & SolutionsOur team is committed to always being able to provide you with updates on your case and answers to your questions. This is your case and we want to be sure you are confident every step of the way.
Proven Record of SuccessDansker & Aspromonte has been advocating for the rights of the injured since 1986. We have the tools, resources, knowledge, and commitment to get you the best possible outcome.