According to data from the NYC Department of Education (DOE), there are over 1.1 million students enrolled in New York public schools. And the majority of these students rely on school buses to get them to their classes.
As a parent, you want to believe that your child is in the best possible care while riding a school bus. However, this is not always the case, and negligent actions from drivers or school officials put your child’s life in danger. But you can trust the New York school bus accident attorneys at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates to pursue justice for your family after a collision.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer After a New York School Bus Crash?
If you or your child were involved in a New York school bus accident, you need a skilled legal representative on your side. Bus crashes can lead to physical and mental trauma. According to school bus statistics from the National Safety Council (NSC), 13,000 people sustained school bus accident injuries in 2019.
Filing a personal injury lawsuit can help you secure compensation for the trauma you or your child suffered after a crash. When bringing your case, our New York school bus attorneys will:
- Evaluate the unique facts of your case and establish liability
- Demonstrate how the at-fault party’s negligence caused your damages
- Collect evidence like medical documents, accident photos, and police reports to strengthen your case
- Negotiate for maximum compensation from the liable party or insurance company
- Present your case to a jury at trial in Court (if a settlement is not reached)
If you are unsure whether you should pursue a school bus accident claim, reach out to our law office. Our accident attorneys can provide a free case consultation to review the facts and evidence and determine whether legal action is warranted.
For a free legal consultation with a school bus accidents lawyer serving New York, call (212) 732-2929
Who Is Responsible for a New York School Bus Accident?
Depending on the nature and underlying cause of the motor vehicle accident, there may be one or multiple parties at fault for the school bus collision. These entities can include:
- School bus manufacturers
- School bus drivers
- Private companies contracted to provide the school’s transportation
- Churches, private schools, and other organizations that own and operate the school bus
- Parts manufacturers
- Third parties hired to maintain and repair the buses
- Government entities responsible for roadway construction, design, and maintenance
- Other responsible drivers involved in the accident
Determining responsibility in a school bus crash is complex. But our New York school bus accident lawyers have years of experience proving liability and holding those parties accountable for their negligent behaviors.
New York School Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
School Bus Drivers Must Enforce Proper Safety Standards
Like all commercial vehicle operators, school bus drivers must operate their buses in a reasonable manner. That means they must not be intoxicated or distracted while on duty. They also must take extreme caution when driving in hazardous road conditions, including snow, ice, fog, and rain.
In addition, school bus drivers have a duty to maintain order while on the road. If they ignore or fail to address safety concerns, it may increase their liability for the accident. While operating the school bus, a driver should make sure all students are:
- Entering and exiting the bus in an orderly fashion
- Waiting for the bus to come to a complete stop before getting on
- Using the handrail when getting on or off the school bus
- Staying seated throughout the ride
- Crossing the street in front of the bus, never behind it
- Waiting for the bus in a safe location
- Keeping all objects and body parts inside the bus
- Staying out of the aisle
- Never causing distractions to the bus driver
- Ensuring that the bus is property maintained
What Compensation Can You Get for a School Bus Accident?
As a parent, you trust school bus drivers to handle your children with care. Parents usually believe that school buses are driven by trained personnel and that the school district properly maintains their buses. So when school personnel or drivers fail to follow safety regulations leading to personal injuries, you may have a legal basis to bring a claim against them seeking compensation..
If you or your child sustained injuries in a school bus accident, you may be able to recover economic and non-economic damages. These include:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income (present and future)
- Therapy and rehabilitation
- Home health care
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Special equipment and modification at home to accommodate a disability
- Diminished quality of life
A New York school bus crash lawyer can help you pursue these damages from the liable party or insurance company.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Types of Bus Accidents in New York City
At Dansker & Aspromonte Associates, we handle a wide range of school bus accidents in New York City. The accidents include:
- Collisions with another motor vehicle
- Slip and fall injuries while on a school bus
- School bus violence due to inadequate bus driver supervision
- Bus accidents resulting from dangerous road conditions or unsafe work zones
If you believe you have a strong claim or are not sure if you have the right to bring a claim, let our school bus accident lawyers help. We are the trusted bus accident law firm you can rely on to pursue justice from every person or entity responsible for your personal injuries.
Contact Our New York School Bus Accident Lawyers for a Consultation
The school bus accident lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates are ready to seek maximum compensation for you or your child’s trauma. Contact us online or give our law firm a call to schedule your free accident case review.
We don’t charge legal fees until you recover compensation.