If you’ve been involved in a car accident in New York, you are likely to be dealing with insurance companies, claims adjusters, police reports and more. It is often a wise decision to hire a NY car accident attorney to handle your case in order to ensure the best possible outcome. But because of the abundance of lawyers in the city, it can be a daunting task to choose the one that is right for you and has ample experience to professionally handle your case in an efficient manner. But if you know what questions to ask, you’ll be better able to make an informed decision.
You’ll first want to ask about experience.
- Where did the lawyer go to school, and how long have they been practicing?
- Do they have any special skills or experiences that may make them better qualified to handle your case than other NY car accident attorneys?
- Does the NY car accident attorney have a lot of experience with car accident cases, or do they mainly handle other types of injuries or accidents? Discover how many accident cases they handle each year, and if any of them are similar to yours.
For a free legal consultation, call (212) 540-2982
Next you can ask them how they feel about your case.
- Ask them to assess your case and what they feel your settlement might be.
- Does the lawyer expect to have to go to trial?
- How long does the attorney think it will take to settle the case?
Finally, ask about how the lawyer handles such cases, and what the fees might be.
- Will he or she be handling the case personally?
- How does the NY car accident attorney work with clients?
- Will the lawyer be present at negotiations?
- Will you be able to contact the lawyer on a day-to-day basis if needed?
- Will you receive information in a timely fashion about any progress that is made?
- Is there an hourly rate?
- Is there still a fee if you don’t win?
- What are the costs of additional expenses, if any?