When you’ve been seriously injured in an accident with a large truck or other commercial vehicle, your first inclination may be to reach out to an attorney you’ve worked with before, or to contact the small general practice firm that handled your brother-in-law’s slip and fall case a couple of years ago. However, not all personal injury cases are the same. The attorney who achieved a great result in a slip and fall case isn’t necessarily the right choice for a truck accident case, let alone the one who represented you in your divorce.
Truck accident and other commercial vehicle accident cases, including bus accident cases, may involve complex issues that don’t come into play in a local car accident case.
What’s Different about a New York Truck Accident Lawyer?
An experienced New York truck accident lawyer will have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of laws, regulations, and technical issues that don’t arise in most personal injury cases. Some examples include:
- Federal regulations regarding truck driver safety standards, including hours in service restrictions
- Federal regulations regarding commercial vehicle safety, including maintenance requirements, safe loading procedures, weight limitations, and more
- The sometimes-complicated liability issues associated with the independent-owner model employed by many trucking companies
- Appropriate experts to assist with investigation and reconstruction in large commercial vehicle accident cases
For a free legal consultation, call 212-732-2929
Damages in Commercial Truck Accident Cases
Damages in commercial truck accident cases are similar to those available in other types of motor vehicle accident cases. Some of the most common include:
- Reimbursement for medical bills
- Projected future medical expenses
- Costs of physical therapy and other care and rehabilitation
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
The key differences in a truck accident case involve:
- The more complicated process of establishing liability, based on the intricate web of laws and regulations and the complex mechanical issues often involved
- The difficulty of obtaining evidence when the commercial vehicle may continue to travel around the country, undergo maintenance, etc.
- The difficulty associated with identifying, serving, deposing and securing evidence from shippers, trucking companies, and others who are often out-of-state corporations
Commercial Truck Accidents are Often Life-Altering
Passenger vehicles are regularly involved in fender benders. While serious—even fatal—car accidents happen every day, most car accidents involve a relatively small amount of damage to the vehicle and minor injuries to the drivers and occupants of the vehicles. Often, those involved in the crash are able to drive their vehicles away from the scene.
With large commercial vehicles, that’s rarely the case. The size and weight of a big rig means that a crash is more likely to cause serious injuries or death. And, because the truck driver is relatively protected in the cab of the large vehicle, while passengers in a car or light truck are more vulnerable, most truck accident casualties are drivers and passengers in other vehicles.
If you’ve been involved in a traffic accident with a commercial truck, or you have lost a loved one to a large truck crash, you are likely struggling to stabilize your life. You may be managing ongoing pain and medical treatment, possible long-term limitations, loss of income, significant medical bills, and the need to make long-term or permanent adaptations. It’s important that the law firm you choose has the resources and experience to push for the best settlement or most favorable verdict possible in your case.
Dansker & Aspromonte Has the Experience to Handle Truck Accident Claims
The attorneys at Dansker & Aspromonte have a track record of successful representation of truck accident victims, including:
- A $10.3 million verdict on behalf of a young woman who was injured when the negligently-secured gate on a passing flatbed truck struck her
- $5 million for occupants of a van stopped in traffic due to a flat tire and was struck by a tanker truck
- $1.3 million on behalf of a teenage boy who had to have his spleen removed after being pinned to a wall by a box truck that was backing up
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Schedule Your Free Consultation Right Now
Take the first step toward protecting your rights and fighting for fair compensation right now. Schedule a free consultation by calling (844) 469-5291.
Featured Image Credit Transportation Traffic / Max Pixel