Unfortunately, many people die in construction accidents. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 1,008 people died in construction accidents in 2018.
Death is the worst possible consequence of a construction accident. If you lost a loved one in a construction accident, you can bring a wrongful death lawsuit against any liable parties on behalf of your loved one. A lawyer can help you pursue litigation against the parties responsible for your loved one’s death.
For a free legal consultation, call (646) 692-0204
Construction Sites Can Be Dangerous
Whether you are a construction worker or someone merely visiting a construction site, you could experience extreme danger if someone on the site is not careful or the site is not properly managed. Construction companies, workers, and building owners can be liable for dangerous conditions at a construction site, which includes equipment used on the site and the manner in which work is performed. They must ensure safety in all respects. Failing to do so can result in injury or death.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), some natural hazards on a construction site include the following:
- Excessive heat and sun exposure
- Extreme cold
Other construction site hazards may involve equipment and the working environment. These hazards may include:
- Unstable or improperly installed scaffolding and ladders
- Heights, especially if workers or visitors are not wearing adequate restraints or safety devices
- Falling objects
- Lack of safety equipment
- Heavy machinery, which could be a danger if malfunctions occur or if a worker operates the machinery carelessly
- Exposed electrical components
- Uncovered openings in floors and walkways
Your lawyer can help determine what caused your loved one’s death and which party or parties may be liable for the damages that resulted from their death.
Establishing Liability for Construction Site Safety
Depending on the nature of your loved one’s passing, one or more parties could be responsible for the hazardous circumstances that caused the fatality. Parties who may be responsible for a construction site death may include:
- The construction site owner
- The general contractor in charge of the construction project
- A specific contractor overseeing operations on a construction site
- A fellow construction worker
- The municipality responsible for the safety of a construction site
A New York construction accident attorney can review the specific circumstances of your loved one’s accident and determine who is at fault. In any case, you may be able to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the person, people, or entity who contributed to the fatal incident.
A Lawyer Can Help You Complete a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
It is imperative that those who oversee construction projects put safety first. If they do not, lives are put at risk. If your loved one was put at risk by one or more forms of wrongdoing, a lawyer can bring a wrongful death lawsuit on their behalf.
Some of the things your lawyer will do on your behalf include:
- Gathering facts and evidence pertaining to your loved one’s accident
- Identifying hazards that existed in the construction site
- Reviewing safety guidelines for construction sites
- Determining liable parties
- Consulting experts in construction site safety and liability
- Interviewing witnesses to your loved one’s accident
- Filing your lawsuit
- Making court appearances required to pursue your lawsuit
- Conducting depositions of the defendants in your lawsuit
- Reviewing your medical records and obtaining medical evidence
- Negotiating a settlement on your behalf
- Taking your lawsuit to trial if necessary
Your lawyer will prepare diligently and fight on your behalf to obtain justice for your loved one and their surviving loved ones.
Possible Compensation for a Wrongful Death
You may be entitled to numerous types of compensation for a loved one’s wrongful death. Awards that you may be able to collect can include compensation for:
- The pain and suffering your loved one suffered before passing away
- Medical costs
- The value of your loved one’s lost future income
- The loss of comfort your loved one provided their loved ones
- The loss of guidance for your loved one’s children
- Spousal and parental support
- The cost of your loved one’s funeral
Your lawyer may suggest other economic and non-economic damages to claim based on the details of your case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
It is unfortunate that so many people die in construction accidents, but that does not mean their deaths should be treated as a statistic. Losing a loved one is a tragedy causing immense pain to families and friends, which is why our lawyers are ready to fight for full and just compensation while you focus on coping with your loss.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (646) 692-0204 for details on how we fight to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.