Brain Damaged Child
Pedestrian Struck by Scooter
Fall Down Elevator Shaft
Life Threatening Injuries
New York Premature Defects Lawyer
Are You Entitled to Seek Compensation?
If a birth occurs before a mother has reached 36 weeks of pregnancy, this is considered pre-term labor. Infants born during this period, or even earlier, are referred to as premature babies. If your child was born premature and you believe that medical negligence or medical malpractice resulted in birth injuries or defects, it is important to seek the help of a birth injury lawyer as early as possible.
- Birth Injuries
- Erb's Palsy
- Premature Birth Defects
- Does your infant have Erb's Palsy or cerebral palsy?
- Cerebral Palsy Treatment
- Cerebral Palsy Symptoms
- Let Brachial Plexus Birth Injury Lawyers in NYC Get the Compensation You Need
For a free legal consultation with a premature defects lawyer serving New York, call (646) 692-0204.
What Causes Premature Delivery?
While specific causes of premature labor are yet to be determined, there are a variety of risk factors that increase the risk of an early birth.
You could be in danger of a premature delivery if:
- You have previously given birth prematurely
- You have multiple babies in the womb
- You have a sexually transmitted disease
- You have uterine problems or infections
- You have kidney disease
- There is an infection in the amniotic fluid
- There are abnormalities in the cervix
- There is unexplained vaginal bleeding at 20 or more weeks into the pregnancy
- You have a genital infection
- There are clotting disorders
- You have urinary tract infections that have gone untreated
- A placental abruption occurs
- You experience pregnancy complications such as excessive amniotic fluid or gestational diabetes
- You are either under or overweight
- If six months have passed after a birth and before the start of your next pregnancy
- You have had several first-trimester abortions
- You have had a second-trimester abortion
We Represent Families in Premature Birth Defects Cases
The earlier a baby is born, the higher his or her risk of brain injury. This is because premature babies are often born with underdeveloped lungs. If the baby cannot get proper oxygen to the brain, severe birth defects and brain injury can occur. One such defect is cerebral palsy.
The treatment of a premature baby is critical. If your doctors and nurses are negligent in their care for you and your child, severe defects can occur. What’s more, birth injuries that affect your baby’s brain development can affect his or her life significantly. It can also affect your entire family.
Specialized medical care, rehabilitation, and special education are all costly. Your injured baby and you and your partner should not have to worry about such costs as well as going through the pain and suffering medical negligence may have caused.
Contact a New York Premature Defects Lawyer at (646) 692-0204.
The Warning Signs of a Premature Labor
If you experience a premature labor, it is critical to seek medical assistance immediately. In some cases, the labor can be stopped so that your baby can carry to full term. Alternatively, steroids may be administered to accelerate your child’s development.
Signs that you are experiencing a premature labor include:
- Menstrual cramps
- A low or a dull backache
- Uterine contractions 10 minutes or less apart
- Reduced movement of your baby
- Pressure in your pelvis or vagina
- Vaginal bleeding
- Fluid leaking from the vagina or an increase in discharge
Premature Labor and Medical Malpractice – Do You Have a Case?
Doctors are compelled to provide reasonably competent care for mothers and their babies during both the pregnancy and the birth. Sadly, some doctors fail to fulfill their duty which can contribute to the causes of premature labor or result in inadequate care after an early labor.
Examples of malpractice include:
- Doctors failing to treat an ineffectual cervix properly
- Doctors failing to observe the signs of premature labor
- Doctors failing to prescribe medications to slow or stop early labor
- Doctors failing to prescribe the appropriate steroids to accelerate a baby’s lung and brain development
- Doctors failing to order bed rest if a mother is at risk of premature labor
These are just a few examples of where a medical malpractice could occur or contribute to a premature birth. To determine whether or not a doctor can be held responsible for a premature labor, we have to evaluate what a reasonable doctor would have done.
If it is found that a reasonable and competent physician with the same background as the attending doctor would have been able to diagnose an early labor, but your doctor failed to do so, you may have a case. The attending doctor may be considered liable for any injuries that result due to the physician’s negligence.
Click to contact our New York Birth Injury Lawyers today.
Focused on Your Recovery
Brain Damaged Child $50 Million
A four-year-old boy, was brought to the hospital for a routine eyelid repair. To cut costs, the hospital contracted out its anesthesia services to a third-party corporation.
Car Accident $31 Million
A 35-year-old New York City Police officer was a passenger in a police car going to an emergency call. After a collision, our client was rendered unconscious and was admitted to Jacobi Hospital with head and limb injuries.
Wrongful Death $21.5 Million
This accident occurred in the Bronx when our client was working on a sanitation truck. The driver lost control while making a turn. Our client was ejected and the truck ran over his leg.
Pedestrian Injury $10.3 Million
A 22-year-old theater intern was walking across the intersection of 42nd Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan when she was struck by the rear door of a passing truck which had flown open because it had been improperly secured by the driver.
Handle Your Case With Confidence Work With Dansker & Aspromonte Today
Contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates for help today. We serve clients throughout the New York City Metropolitan area, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Nassau and Suffolk Counties.