Between 1990 and 2010, almost 100,000 children suffered roller-coaster and amusement-park injuries. That’s per the Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Ohio and works out to around 4,000 injuries per year. Deaths from roller coasters are also high, with 52 deaths recorded between 1990 – 2004.
What Can Be Done to Stop Fatalities and Injuries in Amusement Parks?
The first step is to be aware of the types of premises accidents that can occur in amusement parks. Accidents can occur at fixed and permanent attractions or even on mobile rides. Mobile attractions are moved to different sites, sometimes cross-state, like the ones you find at carnivals and local fairs. Injuries on such rides can occur due to various factors, including:
- Defective equipment
- Negligent employees
- Failure to let guests know about dangerous conditions
- Falls and slips on the walkways
More than half of ride-related injuries that occur in amusement parks happen to children under 13 years old. One common cause is young children riding on attractions that are not appropriate for their weight and height. Common injuries reported at amusement parks include:
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Heart attacks
- Head and brain injuries
For a free legal consultation with a amusement park accidents lawyer serving New York, call 212-732-2929
Who Is Responsible for Amusement Park Accidents?
When an accident happens at an amusement park, the party responsible, or those liable, can be a major worry. While accidents can be caused by mechanical failures, rider misbehavior, operator behavior, and design limitations on rides, liability does tend to vary from case to case.
The experienced team at Dansker&Aspromonte have dealt with a broad range of common claims made against amusement parks when an injury or accident occurs, including:
- Inherently dangerous ride design
- Failure to provide proper instruction and warnings
- Failure to keep walkways and other public areas safe and free from obstruction
- Failure to warn people who may suffer from chronic health conditions to avoid attractions
- Failure to maintain rides and ensure they are in safe operating condition with regular and adequate maintenance and inspections
New York Amusement Park Accident Lawyer Near Me 212-732-2929
How to Stay Safe at Amusement Parks
If you and your family enjoy visiting amusement parks, follow these tips to stay safe:
- Take note of any restrictions that may apply to rides
- Follow all the posted instructions and rules for rides
- Keep legs and arms inside the ride always
- Always make use of safety equipment such as seat belts, harnesses, and lap bars
- Remain in the attraction until it has come to a complete stop
Parents, Stay Vigilant!
Parents should be vigilant always and monitor their children as a ride progresses. Keep an eye on the operator’s behavior when your child heads onto a ride and ensure that your child understands safe behavior before going to the amusement park.
Have You or Someone You Know Been Inured at an Amusement Park?
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury or accident at an amusement park, our expert team of attorneys at Dansker&Aspromonte have the experience to hold the concerned parties liable and seek the compensation your rightfully deserve.
- We won’t charge any fees until we settle or win
- We offer free consultations
- We have a winning record of success at trial