Let Us Fight for Your Right to Fair Compensation
Common sense tells us that in order to drive safely, we need to keep our eyes – and attention – on the road. All too often, people try and multitask while they are behind the wheel, and this causes motor vehicle accidents and put the lives of others at risk. Distracted driving significantly increases the likelihood of a car accident, and if you are involved in a wreck due to a distracted driver, you deserve to be compensated.
For a free legal consultation with a distracted driving accidents lawyer serving New York, call (212) 732-2929
The Problem with Distracted Driving
Distracted driving can be defined as an activity that diverts a person’s attention away from the main task of driving. Every distraction can endanger the safety of drivers, passengers, and bystanders and can lead to devastating consequences in the event of an accident.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, in 2014 alone, nearly 3,200 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes that involved distracted drivers. Another 431,000 drivers were injured in distracted driver crashes. In addition, there are some other troubling statistics available about distracted driving that show just how bad the problem is:
- Approximately 10% of all drivers 15-19 years old involved in fatal automobile crashes were distracted at the time of the accident.
- Drivers in their 20s make up 27% of distracted drivers in all fatal crashes
- The percentage of drivers texting of using handheld devices increased from 1.7% in 2013 to 2.2%
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also reports that at any given moment in the U.S., about 660,000 drivers are using their phones or texting while driving, a number that has remained steady since 2010.
New York Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me (212) 732-2929
Types of Distractions
When it comes to safely operating a motor vehicle, distractions come in a variety of forms. There are three main types of distractions when you get behind the wheel:
- Cognitive. These distractions happen when your mind isn’t focused on what you are doing. An emotionally-charged conversation with a passenger or refereeing a fight between your children in the back seat can all be cognitive distractions.
- Manual. These distractions occur when your hands are not on the steering wheel. Eating or putting on makeup while behind the wheel are examples.
- Visual. When you take your eyes off of the road due to a distraction, you can strike other motorists, pedestrians, or stationary objects. Taking a look at your cellphone or reading a map while driving are prime examples of visual distractions.
Any activity that diverts a driver’s attention when operating a vehicle can lead to distracted driving. Some of the most dangerous – and most common – distractions include:
- Talking on a cell phone
- Using a navigation system or another in-vehicle technology
- Tuning the radio or selecting a song on an iPod
- Tending to pets or children
- Talking with other passengers
- Shaving, brushing hair, or other personal grooming tasks
- Drinking and eating
- Reading directions and maps
If you were involved in a distracted driving accident and were injured due to someone else’s negligence, it is important that you have your claim evaluated by an experienced personal injury attorney.
Texting and Driving – One of the Worst Distracted Driving Culprits
According to New York State law, it is illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone or other portable electronic device while you drive. Illegal activities including holding the device and one of these other activities:
- Talking on a handheld phone
- Composing, reading, sending, accessing, or reviewing electronic data, including text messages or email
- Transmitting, viewing, or taking images
- Playing games
One of the biggest problems involving electronic devices and driving is texting. Texting is thought to be the most dangerous of all distracted driving activities because it combines all three types of distractions. Text messaging also causes some of the most violent car crashes, including head-on accidents, and younger drivers are more likely to be the culprits of this type of distracted driving.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seek Out Legal Representation after a Distracted Driving Accident
In any motor vehicle accident, legal representation is a necessity, especially if serious injuries or wrongful death were the result. However, the complex circumstances surrounding a distracted driving case make it even more important to find a good car accident attorney. Proving that a driver was distracted can be difficult, and an expert attorney can help with:
- Conducting a thorough investigation into the accident and the circumstances surrounding it
- Interview witnesses to better understand the cause of the accident
- Consult with experts for additional evidence to support your case
Distracted driving accident attorneys like the experienced team at Dansker & Aspromonte can handle the complex legal work associated with your case while you focus on your recovery. We never charge fees up front, and you aren’t expected to pay anything until your case is either settled or won. This allows you to focus on healing emotionally or physically without worry about your insurance claim.
Dansker & Aspromonte Is the #1 New York City Distracted Driving Accident Law Firm
If a driver failed to pay attention to the road and you were injured as a result, our experienced New York City personal injury lawyers are here to hold him or her accountable for their actions. We have successfully handled numerous accident cases involving distracted driving, and we are prepared to help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
At Dansker & Aspromonte, we pride ourselves on being a different kind of law firm. Not only will we aggressively pursue every avenue for recovery on your behalf, but we always treat our clients with the utmost compassion and respect. We understand how traumatic it is to experience a car accident – or to lose a loved one in an accident – so we make every effort to simply the process of getting compensation. We do all the work so that you can recover stress-free.
At Dansker & Aspromonte, our proven track record of success sets us apart from the competition. With a winning record of success over our last 35+ years of legal experience, you can feel confident that your case is in the right hands. . Call us today at (844) 469-5291 to set up your free consultation and to discuss your case.