Manhattan Bicycle Accident Lawyers
A bicycle accident can cause serious or even fatal injuries that can change your life in an instant. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed as a bicyclist in Manhattan, a lawyer may be able to represent you against the insurance company or in court.
Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte today at (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation. There is no obligation. We recover no attorney’s fees unless and until you win your case.
Bicyclists Have a Right to Share the Road
Bicyclists are an indelible part of New York City; many of these bicyclists in the city are put at risk by dangerous riding conditions, including drivers failing to act cautiously.
In fact, New York City saw a 200% increase in bicycle-related fatalities in 2019, according to WABC TV. This rise in bicyclist deaths suggests that motorists, The City of New York, and other contractors still need to do more work to ensure that bicyclists have safe passage throughout Manhattan.
Motorists’ Responsibility to Prevent Bicyclist Injuries and Deaths
All motorists have a responsibility to drive their vehicles in a responsible way as to prevent avoidable harm to other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians, including bicyclists. Motorists in New York City specifically must also recognize that:
- They share the road with bicyclists, who have a right to safety.
- Congested road conditions in New York City may put cyclists and cars in closer proximity than they would be in most other locales.
- New York City’s reputation as a biking and walking-friendly city means that bicyclists are a near-constant presence on the city’s roads.
- When a vehicle strikes a bicyclist, there is a high risk of injuring or killing the bicyclist.
Each of these facts means that motorists must use caution and take extra steps to ensure that they do not strike a bicyclist on the road. Some measures that motorists can take to protect bicyclists include:
- Remaining alert to bicycle lanes and ensuring that their vehicle does not veer into these lanes
- Ensuring that a bicyclist is not passing through an intersection before turning, as the turn may result in a collision
- Turning their heads to check their blind spots for bicyclists before turning or merging
- Allowing as much space as possible between their vehicle and the bicycle lane, especially when bicyclists are present
- When parked, checking for oncoming bicyclists before opening a door, which may be a hazard to bicyclists
Motorists who fail to take these precautions risk causing a collision with a bicyclist. In addition to these steps, motorists should avoid potential causes of accidents, including:
- Distracted driving, which includes texting, making phone calls, engaging with social media, or doing anything that takes your hands from the wheel or attention from the road
- Aggressive driving, which includes tailgating, merging into the bike lane to pass, and speeding
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Dangerous Road Conditions Also Cause Bicycle Accidents
Besides negligent motor vehicle operators, a substantial number of accidents are caused by dangerous road conditions. These conditions may include an improperly repaired pothole or road excavation which can cause a depression or bump in the road that poses a hazard to a bicycle wheel. There are many different parties that perform roadway construction work including The City of New York, Con Edison, the gas company, or other private businesses and utilities.
If motorists or parties who perform roadway repairs fail to take action to prevent an accident, they can be liable for any injuries and losses suffered. If you or a loved one was injured or killed during a bicycle accident and another party is responsible for your injuries, you have the right to bring a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit and demand fair and reasonable monetary compensation for all of your losses.
Court Is a Possible Road to Justice
The negative consequences of a bicycle accident can quickly mount and become overwhelming. Some possible consequences for bicyclists who were injured in a collision with a motor vehicle or defective roadway condition include:
- Serious injuries which cause you pain and suffering
- Loss of the ability to work resulting in lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Loss of future income
- Long term disability
- Mental anguish or loss of enjoyment of life
- Other economic or out of pocket expenses
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a bicycle accident and you are considering your options for justice, the Manhattan bicycle accident lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte are ready to fight for you.
Your Time Is Limited
Your time to bring a claim for monetary damages following an accident is limited. If you fail to begin your claim within that time you may be forever barred from receiving the compensation you deserve. Don’t delay.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Today
Our team serving Manhattan will review your case and answer any questions that you have at no expense to you. For decades our attorneys have been fighting for our clients so that they receive fair and just compensation.
Municipalities may be responsible for injuries caused by uneven, cracked, or otherwise defective roads. Crossing the street is an unavoidable fact of life for many who live and work in Manhattan, and a pedestrian could be seriously injured in a fall caused by dangerous or improperly maintained roads. If you or a loved one was the victim of injuries caused by poorly-maintained road or dangerous condition in the roadway, a Manhattan fall caused by uneven or cracked roads lawyer can help you pursue compensation to potentially cover your injury-related losses.
Contact Dansker & Aspromonte today to find out how we will fight for the best possible legal or insurance outcome for you or a loved one.
Walking Around New York City Has Its Risks
In New York City, walking on the city’s roads is a routine activity for many. Crossing the streets of Manhattan would be routine under regular conditions, but The New York Times notes that crowded sidewalks have made pedestrians start using the road to get around.
Walking on the roads of Manhattan means that, if those roads are cracked, uneven, or otherwise in disrepair, pedestrians are at risk of suffering a serious injury in a trip and fall accident.
Unrepaired Roads Endanger Your Health
When governmental and private parties do not tend to the state of their roads, they may become:
- Littered with potholes
Several injuries could occur because of unrepaired roads. These injuries may include:
- Ankle and leg injuries, which MedlinePlus explains may include bone fractures
- Injuries to tendons and other ankle-adjacent body parts
- Broken wrists
- Broken bones in your hands
- Broken bones in your arms
- Broken hips
- Knee injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
Injuries may show symptoms the moment you fall and hit the ground, while other injuries may show symptoms days, weeks, or even months after the accident. You should seek medical attention to prevent further damage from developing. These sorts of injuries could prevent you from working, cause you substantial pain, and leave you with symptoms that may be permanent or linger long into the future.
You may be able to hold the parties responsible for the road and dangerous condition that caused your fall accountable for your injuries and resulting medical costs and other losses. A Manhattan fall caused by uneven or cracked roads can represent you and pursue any awards or compensation that you are entitled to collect. Call Dansker & Aspromonte today at (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation about our services.
A Lawyer Can Help You Seek Compensation After a Trip and Fall Accident
A lawyer can help you determine who may be held responsible for your injuries and then pursue compensation to cover your damages and losses. The City of New York may be held responsible for maintaining Manhattan’s road conditions. Additionally, contractors who create a dangerous condition or improperly install or repair the road can be held liable for the injuries and resulting damages that you have suffered.
Upon accepting your case, your lawyer will determine who could be held responsible for your fall-related injuries and damages. After determining whether the City of New York or other parties are at fault and responsible for your accident, your lawyer can:
- Examine relevant laws statutes, rules and local ordinances
- Pursue compensation based on the facts of your accident
- Explain your legal options for pursuing compensation
Your lawyer will collect evidence pertaining to your accident, document your injuries, and consult experts to provide testimony that supports your case.
Additionally, your lawyer may:
- Interview witnesses to your accident or the conditions that caused your accident
- Handle all communications with insurance agents and attorneys
- Calculate the amount of compensation that you might be entitled to receive
- Negotiate a pre-trial settlement
- Proceed to trial if necessary
Your lawyer will fight for your rights and guide you through the process in order to maximize the compensation that you are entitled to. Your lawyer will handle the legal process so that you can rest and recover from your injuries If you have any questions, you can contact your legal team for status updates on your case and to obtain any additional information that you may need.
Defining Negligence in a Trip and Fall Case
A municipality or another defendant in your case might be considered negligent if they:
- Created a dangerous condition in the road while making repairs
- Improperly repaired the roadway causing or creating a dangerous condition
- Allowed a road to become uneven over time without repaving the road
- Allowed potholes to emerge and grow without repairing them
- Allowed a road to become cracked and stay that way
- Allowed a road hazard to go unrepaired without any warnings or barriers to protect pedestrians or bike riders from being injured by the dangerous condition in the road
The party or parties named in your case could be held responsible because of any overt acts they took or steps that they did not take to protect you from suffering an injury.
Call (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation.
Hiring a lawyer to represent you in your claim allows you to have peace of mind that someone is fighting for you so you can concentrate on your recovery. Our consultation will focus on answering all of your questions and explaining the process going forward. If you decide to retain us, we will immediately begin an investigation of your case which may include:
- Obtaining all incident or accident reports
- Securing all surveillance video and accident photographs
- Identifying witnesses and obtain statements
- Gathering all EMS, hospital and medical treatment records
- Consulting with accident reconstruction and medical experts
- Preparing the case for trial if necessary
Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte today at (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation.
Brain Damaged Child $50 Million
Christian, a four-year-old boy, was brought to the hospital for a routine eyelid repair. To cut costs, the hospital contracted out its anesthesia services to a third-party corporation.
Car Accident $31 Million
A 35-year-old New York City Police officer was a passenger in a police car going to an emergency call. After a collision, Ms. A. was rendered unconscious and was admitted to Jacobi Hospital with head and limb injuries.
Sanitation Worker Truck Injury $21.5 Million
This accident occurred in the Bronx when Rafael C. was working on a sanitation truck. The driver lost control while making a turn. Rafael was ejected and the truck ran over his leg.
Woman Struck By Truck $10.3 Million
A 22-year-old theater intern was walking across the intersection of 42nd Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan when she was struck by the rear door of a passing truck which had flown open because it had been improperly secured by the driver.
Smoke Inhalation $8 Million
Dansker & Aspromonte represented 60 tenants in the infamous Schomburg Plaza fire. A fire started in a jammed compactor chute on the 20th floor of the high-rise apartment building.
Head Injury $7.8 Million
This female accountant was walking after work in Battery Park on the pedestrian promenade when she was suddenly struck by a speeding police motor scooter.
Serious Injuries $6.6 Million
This case involved a 6-year-old girl who was in a minivan that was struck by an ambulance in a multi-car collision on the Northern State Parkway in Long Island, New York.
Serious Injuries $6.25 Million
A 26-year-old bicycle deliveryman was struck by a speeding Dollar Rent-A-Car van on a busy intersection, causing multiple fractures in his neck, back, arm and leg, as well as mild brain damage.
Handle Your Case With Confidence Work With Dansker & Aspromonte Today
Contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates for help today. We serve clients throughout the New York City Metropolitan area, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Nassau and Suffolk Counties.