Manhattan Dog Bite Lawyer
If you are the victim of a dog bite in Manhattan or another part of New York City, there are many facts specific to your incident that will determine if you will have a successful claim. Immediately after the attack, you should try to do the following if possible:
- Notify the police so that they can investigate the attack
- Attempt to identify the owner of the dog and collect their contact information
- Take a photograph of the dog
- Record the names of any witnesses to the attack
- Go to the doctor to ensure that you receive all necessary medical treatment
- Take photographs of your injuries
- Determine if anyone else in the community has been harmed by the dog before
If you have questions about what you should do following a dog bite, a Manhattan dog bite lawyer can help.
Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP today at (646) 692-0204 for a free consultation.
Dogs and Humans Mix Closely in Manhattan
Manhattan is a borough short on space, yet plentiful in humans and their pets—dogs specifically. When humans and dogs exist in such close quarters, owners have a heightened responsibility to ensure that:
- Their dog is controllable at any given moment
- Humans who have no desire to interact with their dog do not have to do so
- Their dog does not threaten or harm any other person or animal
These responsibilities exist for dog owners in most parts of the United States, but the unique dense environment of New York City—and Manhattan in particular—requires dog owners to be vigilant in protecting adults and children from the dangers of a dog bite or attack.
Dog Ownership in the City Calls for Special Precautions
New York City can be a daunting environment for a dog. Dog owners have a great responsibility to act defensively in preventing others from falling victim to their dog’s potential confusion, which may manifest as a bite or attack. NYC Health outlines certain behaviors that non-dog owners should and should not take to minimize instances of dog bites. In addition, dog owners should:
- Ensure that anybody who your dog approaches is comfortable
- Keep their dog on a leash at most times, with rare exceptions including when their dog is in a dog park
- Know their dog’s nature and thus prevent their dog from coming into contact with somebody who could be bitten
If a dog owner failed to take any of the following and it led to an attack, you may be eligible to recover compensation. If you were bitten by a dog under any circumstance you should contact a Manhattan dog bite lawyer to discuss your rights to receive fair and just compensation for your injuries. Dog bites can produce serious health consequences that may be costly and could negatively impact your life in several ways.
Potential Health Outcomes of a Dog Bite
According to a survey on dog bites conducted by NYC Vital Signs (a publication of the city government), an annual average of more than 6,000 dog bite victims required a visit to the Emergency Department over a 7-year span. Dog bites can cause an array of injuries depending on:
- The size of the victim
- The age of the victim
- Where on the body the victim is bitten
- The strength of the dog’s bite
- The depth and nature of the bite
- The healing process which is unique to each person
- And many other factors
Potential injuries and health outcomes that may arise from a dog bite include:
- Punctured skin
- Punctured muscles, tendons, and tissue
- Torn skin
- Torn muscles, tendons, and tissue
- Broken bones, if the force of the bite is strong enough
- Permanent scarring
- Severe emotional trauma including post-traumatic stress disorder
The potential health consequences of a dog bite should not be taken lightly.
A Dog Bite Lawyer Will Fight for You
Once you retain us, we will immediately begin an investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of your attack and your injuries. In New York, a dog owner or property owner may be held responsible for the injuries you sustained if it can be proven that the dog had previously injured others or had acted in a vicious or threatening manner. In order to gather evidence of this previous behavior and build your case, the lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP may do the following:
- Obtain all police or incident reports
- Interview neighbors or witnesses to determine if there were prior attacks
- Secure all photographs or video footage of the incident
- Request copies of all EMS, hospital and medical records
- Demand all relevant property management or property insurance records
- Take a sworn statement of the property owner about the dog’s history
- Prepare your case for trial before a jury, if necessary
Call Our Team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP Today
Dog bites can result in serious injuries—and may grow even more serious with time—potentially causing chronic or permanent pain, scarring or preventing you from working or maintaining your quality of life.
Your time to file a claim regarding the incident is limited. If you fail to file your claim within that time limit, you may be forever barred from seeking monetary compensation you deserve. Don’t delay.
Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP today at (646) 692-0204 to fight for the compensation you deserve. If we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay any money upfront. We only earn a legal fee when you receive compensation.
You may have already sustained losses related to your dog bite and could endure even more in the future. A lawyer will fight on your behalf for monetary compensation for both past and future damages.
You may be entitled to compensation for any of the following after a Manhattan dog bite:
- Pain and suffering from your physical injuries and/or scarring
- Emotional anguish or post-traumatic stress disorder
- Medical bills, current and future expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
If you or your loved one has been bitten by a dog in or around Manhattan, call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP today at (646) 692-0204 to speak with a Manhattan dog bite lawyer about your eligibility to file a lawsuit.
Brain Damaged Child $50 Million
A four-year-old boy was brought to the hospital for a routine eyelid repair. To cut costs, the hospital contracted out its anesthesia services to a third-party corporation.
Wrongful Death $21.5 Million
This accident occurred in the Bronx when our client was working on a sanitation truck. The driver lost control while making a turn. Our client was ejected and the truck ran over his leg.
Pedestrian Injury $10.3 Million
A 22-year-old theater intern was walking across the intersection of 42nd Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan when she was struck by the rear door of a passing truck which had flown open because it had been improperly secured by the driver.