Manhattan Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Entrusting a loved one to the confines of a nursing home is a big decision. You expect that facility to provide responsible care for your aging parent or relative who may be physically, mentally, and emotionally fragile and who is dependent on others. When the staff, management, or administrators of these facilities are negligent, indifferent, or abusive, whether unintentionally or intentionally, it can result in serious injuries, financial exploitation, and psychological damage to residents. In such situations, you may have the grounds to seek financial compensation for the losses and damages your loved one has suffered.
After suspecting or discovering that your family member has been the victim of nursing home neglect or abuse, you will likely have questions about the nature of your legal rights and what you can do to remedy the situation. At Dansker & Aspromonte, you can discuss the details with a highly experienced attorney who can assess the matter and give you a candid case evaluation. Our firm has been representing victimized New Yorkers and their families since 1986. We are committed to helping our family of clients find the justice they deserve through legal claims and lawsuits.
Set up your free consultation with a Manhattan nursing home abuse attorney at Dansker & Aspromonte by contacting us via our website or at (646) 692-0204.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Cases We Handle
According to the National Library of Medicine, nursing home abuse is defined by the Administration on Aging as “the willful infliction of injury, unreasonable confinement, intimidation or cruel punishment with resulting physical harm, pain, or mental anguish or deprivation by a person, including a caregiver, of goods or services that are necessary to avoid physical harm, mental anguish, or mental illness.”
Unfortunately, nursing home residents are easy targets for abuse and neglect. Many are physically disabled and cognitively impaired through dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Furthermore, many residents are reluctant to speak up for fear of retaliation by caregivers or staff. Others may have lost the ability to communicate at all due to cognitive deficits.
Examples of nursing home abuse can include:
- Hitting, slapping, pushing, kicking, striking with objects, punching
- Improper use of physical or chemical restraints
- Medical errors, such as too little or too much medication, wrong medications, or wrong pathway to administer medications
- Sexual abuse or non-consensual sexual activity, from indecent exposure to rape
- Threats, harassment, intimidation, bullying, or humiliation
- Financial exploitation, such as theft of personal items, coercion to alter wills or estate planning, theft of cash or funds through fraudulent or coercive means, and more
Examples of nursing home neglect can include:
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Lack of dental care
- Poor or inadequate personal hygiene
- Failure to shift bedridden or wheelchair-bound residents leading to bedsores
- Failure to properly administer wound care
- Failure to administer proper medication
- Failure to ensure proper medical or emergency care when needed
- Failure to properly respond to call lights
- Failure to provide proper security
At Dansker & Aspromonte, our team handles all types and variations of nursing home neglect and abuse, from fall-related broken bones to bedsores, infections, concussions, loss of personal and financial property and assets, and anything else that involves personal injury losses and damages to these vulnerable seniors.
Nursing home neglect and abuse can be due to understaffing, poor staff training, lack of staff and resident oversight by managers, inadequately vetting in hiring practices, and more. Those who may be held accountable in these cases can include:
- Caretakers in nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Other staff, such as custodians and maintenance staff
- Outside contractors and vendors
- Visitors to these facilities
- Administrators, managers, and facility owners and their parent companies
- Doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals
- Governmental entities in charge of licensing and oversight
Potential Compensation in a Manhattan Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect Claim
No elderly person should have to endure any type of neglect or abuse in a facility that is paid to care for them. Our firm is passionate about standing up for the rights of individuals and their families who have experienced this. We work aggressively to help you seek the monetary compensation to which you are entitled.
Compensation can include:
- Medical expenses, past, present, and future
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Restitution for financial theft or fraud
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Expenses involved in relocation to another facility
How Our Manhattan Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Lawyers Can Help
If you believe your family member has been subject to nursing home abuse or neglect, we can conduct a comprehensive investigation into the matter, including obtaining any previous complaints or reports of abuse or neglect at the facility, witness reports, medical reports, and more. Our team also works with medical and other experts to help us calculate the full impact of the injuries and how they may affect your loved one’s health going forward. We can also assist in reporting such cases to the proper authorities where necessary.
If your family member has died from the injuries he or she suffered, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim. Our team can help you take appropriate legal action for such cases.
Our seasoned legal team has built a solid reputation for effective representation with a long track record of successful settlements and jury awards. Let us put our experience and dedication to work for you in these critical matters.
Request a free consultation via our online case evaluation form or call (646) 692-0204 today.
Focused on Your Recovery
Brain Damaged Child $50 Million
A four-year-old boy, was brought to the hospital for a routine eyelid repair. To cut costs, the hospital contracted out its anesthesia services to a third-party corporation.
Car Accident $31 Million
A 35-year-old New York City Police officer was a passenger in a police car going to an emergency call. After a collision, our client was rendered unconscious and was admitted to Jacobi Hospital with head and limb injuries.
Wrongful Death $21.5 Million
This accident occurred in the Bronx when our client was working on a sanitation truck. The driver lost control while making a turn. Our client was ejected and the truck ran over his leg.
Pedestrian Injury $10.3 Million
A 22-year-old theater intern was walking across the intersection of 42nd Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan when she was struck by the rear door of a passing truck which had flown open because it had been improperly secured by the driver.
Handle Your Case With Confidence Work With Dansker & Aspromonte Today
Contact Dansker & Aspromonte Associates for help today. We serve clients throughout the New York City Metropolitan area, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Nassau and Suffolk Counties.