When we place our loved ones in nursing homes, we expect the staff members to provide for their needs and protect them from harm. All too often, however, nursing homes and their employees fail to provide for the basic needs of residents. This type of negligence forces our loved ones to live their days in pain and fear, when they should be enjoying peace and comfort.
At Dansker & Aspromonte, we are passionate advocates for neglected and abused nursing home residents. We handle nursing home negligence claims throughout the New York City metropolitan area and across the state. We understand how difficult it is to learn your family member has suffered in this way. We are prepared to help.
Contact us today online or by telephone at 800-510-9695 to speak with an experienced New York City nursing home negligence lawyer.
Nursing Home Negligence in New York
One of the most prevalent factors leading to nursing home neglect in New York is understaffing. When nursing homes cut corners and fail to hire an adequate number of staff members, there are simply not enough people on hand to properly care for residents.
Regardless of the cause of nursing home negligence, the results can be tragic. Common nursing home injuries include:
- Bedsores: Painful ulcers that develop on the knees, hips and other joints. Bedsores are commonly caused by allowing residents to sit or lie in one position for too long.
- Restraint injuries: Improper use of physical restraints such as wrist and ankle restraints, as well as chemical restraints such as sedatives, can lead to serious injury.
- Nursing home falls: A leading cause of injury in nursing homes, falling accidents can be caused by slippery floors, obstacles in hallways or failure to safely restrain residents.
- Malnutrition/dehydration: Nursing home residents are often unable to feed or hydrate themselves and are also unable to communicate their hunger and thirst. Nonetheless, nursing home staff members must be diligent in providing for the needs of residents.
- Wandering off: When nursing home residents are allowed to wander off the premises, they are exposed to the dangers of the outside world, including falling accidents, robbery, assault, traffic accidents and more.
- Nursing home physical abuse: The actions of nursing home staff can sometimes constitute physical abuse. These actions can include hitting, beating, burning or sexually assaulting residents.
Whatever the cause of your loved one’s nursing home injury, our attorneys will work diligently to pursue compensation for his or her losses and to hold the negligent party or parties accountable.
Brooklyn Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Serving Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and the NYC Metro Area
If your loved one has suffered due to nursing home negligence, our New York nursing home accident law firm is here to help. Contact us today online or by telephone at 800-510-9695 to speak with a knowledgeable New York City nursing home negligence attorney.
Hidden Cameras in Nursing Homes: How to Find Your State’s Laws
Is it legal to install cameras in nursing homes to detect elder abuse? Here’s how to find the laws in your state. This video features a long-term-care ombudsman from New York. For a list of the best n…