Staten Island Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
When you are a resident of a nursing home, you are dependent on the support and care of the facility and its staff. When care is negligent and abusive, weak and frail residents can suffer severe injuries, and some will even die.
If you or a loved one have been injured or a death has occurred as a result of neglect or abuse in a nursing home, you may be entitled to compensation. If a victim of elder abuse has died or is too incapacitated to file their own claim, a family member, power of attorney, or executor may bring a lawsuit on their behalf.
Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP is dedicated to stopping abuse in nursing homes and helping abused residents and their families get the compensation they deserve. We offer a free case evaluation to review your individual situation and show you how we can help.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Nursing home staff are often inadequate, poorly trained, and overworked, and thus unable to properly care for residents.
Elder neglect can lead to serious situations, including:
- Delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis of medical conditions
- Failure to test for and treat medical conditions
- Medication errors
- Failure to properly supervise, leading to falls and injuries
- Poor hygiene and skin care, leading to bedsores and infections
- Providing poor nutrition
There are also times when abuse is deliberate, malicious, and criminal. Abuse of the elderly may take many forms that include:
- Physical abuse: Assaulting, punching, hitting, pushing, or unnecessarily restraining
- Sexual abuse: Fondling private parts, sexual battery, or rape
- Psychological abuse: Yelling at or belittling residents
- Financial abuse: Illegally taking money or personal property
How to Recognize Neglect or Abuse of the Elderly
Often, an abuse victim is afraid or unable to speak up and complain about the abuse.
Family members need to be alert and ask questions if there are signs of nursing home abuse or neglect, which may include:
- Bruises on the body or bedsores
- Broken limbs
- Frequent falls and accidents, resulting in injury
- Issues with cleanliness, housekeeping, or maintenance
- Changes in the resident’s weight, behavior, or mental state
- Staff that is insufficient, not responsive in a timely manner, or improperly supervised
- Errors with medication or treatment
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Our Staten Island nursing home abuse attorneys will look to identify any parties who could be responsible for your loved one’s neglect or abuse, including doctors, nurses, administrators, staff members, the nursing home, and the company that owns it.
How Filing a Nursing Home Claim or Lawsuit Helps
While the laws that protect nursing home residents hold nursing homes and their staff civilly and criminally liable if they fail to uphold the rights and protect the health and safety of their residents, unfortunately, frail nursing home residents are usually unable to file complaints on their own. As a result, that neglect or abuse often continues until someone is alerted to the problem.
Family members who suspect neglect or abuse in a nursing home should contact the lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP immediately. We have decades of experience, helping to guide you through the legal process so you can protect your loved one and fight to get the monetary compensation your family deserves.
We can request an investigation by The New York State Department of Health. Under certain circumstances, they will investigate complaints by visiting the facility, interviewing staff and residents, and reviewing medical records and documents to look for violations. If they find the nursing home violated state and/or federal regulations, the Department of Health will issue a citation, and the nursing home must submit a plan to remedy the situation.
While this investigation is taking place, Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP will conduct its own investigation and gather evidence to prepare a claim or lawsuit against the nursing home and its negligent staff members. If we file a claim or lawsuit, we will seek monetary compensation for the victim or their family.
Call us at (646) 692-0204 for your free consultation.
Compensation You May Receive in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
If the evidence shows that nursing home staff injured your loved one through neglect or abuse, New York law requires that the victim or their family receive fair and reasonable compensation for their injuries. Often, the nursing home representatives will offer small amounts of compensation, even when the proof of negligence is strong. Our attorneys will fight to ensure that the amount we recover is based on the evidence and not based simply on what the other side is willing to pay. Our promise to our clients is that we will prepare every case for trial before a jury, if necessary. If the other side is not willing to pay a fair and just settlement, we will demand a trial.
Once we prove that neglect or abuse has taken place, your loved one may be entitled to receive monetary damages for three distinct areas of harm:
- Pain and suffering for physical injuries or mental anguish
- Economic losses, including unpaid medical bills and out-of-pocket expenses
- Punitive damages may also be awarded in extreme cases where neglect or abuse was malicious or deliberate
The amount of compensation you may receive varies greatly according to your situation. Factors that should be considered include:
- The severity of the physical injuries sustained and if death occurred as a result
- How the injuries have affected the victim’s ability to enjoy life or perform their daily routine
- Whether the physical injuries are permanent in nature
- What out-of-pocket medical expenses were sustained as a result of the neglect or abuse
Our Staten Island Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Are Ready to Help
If a loved one has been abused or had their rights violated in a nursing home, you may want to get legal advice before the situation becomes worse.
The laws regarding holding someone liable for nursing home abuse and neglect can be complicated, but the process is easier with an experienced attorney by your side. The Staten Island nursing home abuse lawyers from Dansker & Aspromonte Associates LLP are here to aid in the investigation of what happened, stop the abuse from continuing, and fight to get you the best settlement possible.
Brain Damaged Child $50 Million
A four-year-old boy was brought to the hospital for a routine eyelid repair. To cut costs, the hospital contracted out its anesthesia services to a third-party corporation.
Wrongful Death $21.5 Million
This accident occurred in the Bronx when our client was working on a sanitation truck. The driver lost control while making a turn. Our client was ejected and the truck ran over his leg.
Pedestrian Injury $10.3 Million
A 22-year-old theater intern was walking across the intersection of 42nd Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan when she was struck by the rear door of a passing truck which had flown open because it had been improperly secured by the driver.