Driving on the wrong side of the road increases the risk of a head-on collision with another vehicle or serious pedestrian accident. Any motorist who drives on the wrong side of the road and causes serious personal injuries should be held accountable for their actions and the damage they cause.
If you or a loved one suffered a serious injury because of a motorist driving on the wrong side of a roadway, the experienced and dedicated lawyers at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates are ready to fight for your right to fair and just financial compensation for each and every type of injury you sustained.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation about our services. If we agree to accept your case, you will not be required to pay us any money upfront. We only receive a legal fee unless you receive compensation.
Wrong-Way Driving Constitutes Negligence
The Federal Highway Administration (FHA) has found that approximately 300 to 400 people die each year in accidents caused by motorists driving in the wrong direction. Thousands more are seriously injured. The FHA also notes that head-on or sideswipe collisions can be more severe than other car accident types.
Driving on the wrong side of the street constitutes negligence. Motorists must remain aware of the legal right of way and the flow of traffic on a given street.
According to the American Bar Association (ABA), negligence:
- Can occur even when the party who is negligent does not intend to cause harm
- Is often the cause of a motor vehicle collision
- May be caused by carelessness or recklessness
- Must be shown before you will be entitled to compensation for your injuries
When a motorist drives in the wrong direction and causes an accident, then they may be held accountable for the damages that they cause.
Who Could Be Responsible for a Wrong-Way Accident
The motorist who drove their vehicle in the wrong direction may have clear liability for your accident. Depending on the unique circumstances of your accident, other parties could also be responsible for your injuries, your loved one’s passing, or any other losses that you have experienced.
For example, a municipality such as the City of New York may be held responsible for a wrong-way accident if they failed to clearly mark a one-way road. Additionally, if you were struck by a company vehicle that was operating on the wrong side of the street, then the driver’s employer may also be held responsible for your losses.
Our Bronx accident lawyers will identify specific elements in your case that may entitle you to compensation. Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 to learn how we can fight to get the best possible outcome for you or your loved one after an accident.
Motorist Behaviors that Could Entitle You to Compensation
Driving in the wrong direction is usually one of the clearest examples of driver negligence. There are usually underlying reasons that cause a driver to end up on the wrong side of the road. Uncovering the cause of your accident will give your lawyer the groundwork for building the strongest personal injury case.
Some reasons for wrong-way driving include:
- Being distracted, which may include using a cell phone, eating or drinking, or adjusting the vehicle’s entertainment system
- Being under the influence of drugs
- Being under the influence of alcohol
- Driving without functioning headlights or taillights
- Engaging in road rage
- Failing to use glasses or contact lenses (the lack thereof can impede visibility)
- Driving without proper training
- Driving while fatigued
Types of Injuries in a New York Wrong-Way Accident
Collisions caused by driving on the wrong side of the road can cause severe or life-threatening injuries to other drivers, passengers, or pedestrians. Wrong-way accidents cause a wide range of serious injuries including:
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken Bones
- The loss of a limb
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Joint damage requiring surgical repair
Seek medical attention as soon as possible after your accident so that you can document the full extent of your injuries and begin the recovery process.
How Your Lawyer Will Seek Compensation for You
The sooner you contact our team of experienced and dedicated lawyers, the sooner we can begin to investigate the unique facts and circumstances of your accident, preserve evidence, and build a strong claim for compensation. Once you retain us to fight for you, we will conduct a thorough and careful examination of the evidence which may include:
- Requesting all police, accident, and incident reports
- Securing the names and addresses of any witnesses
- Obtaining scene and vehicle damage photographs
- Preserving video footage of the accident if available
- Conducting a site visit
- Collecting all hospital and medical records
- Consulting with experts in accident reconstruction
- Demanding sworn statements from the at-fault driver
- Filing all claims in a timely manner
- Speaking with the other party’s legal counsel
- Documenting and calculating your losses
- Negotiating a settlement
- Preparing your case for trial
- Presenting your case at trial before a jury if necessary
If the evidence shows that your injuries were the result of the fault of another driver, you are entitled to fair and just compensation for each and every type of damage you sustained including:
- Pain and suffering for all physical or emotional injuries
- Future pain and suffering if your injuries are permanent in nature
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Lost income
- Future lost income and loss of retirement benefits
- Medical costs
- Future medical cost
- In the case of death, loss of guidance, support, and funeral expenses
- Any other out of pocket expenses caused by your injuries
If you have any other losses from your wrong-way accident, then your lawyer may be able to secure compensation for those expenses.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates Today
Our goal at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates is to protect your rights and secure the highest financial compensation for you and your family. Do not delay. There are certain deadlines that limit your right to recovery. If you fail to file your claim for benefits or money damages by these deadlines, you may be forever prevented from obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation with the team of a Bronx wrong-way accident lawyer.