The hustle and bustle of Brooklyn can lead to accidents and injuries, which is why it is so important that business owners, local government, landlords, and others responsible for the upkeep of property prevent hazards from posing a threat to your safety and health.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury or were killed because of a trip and fall accident in Brooklyn, speak with one of our associates to help you decide whether a lawsuit is a viable course of action for you. Call a Brooklyn trip and fall injury lawyer at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation.
Parties Responsible for Recognizing Trip and Fall Hazards
All residents and visitors in Brooklyn have a right to be protected from an unreasonable risk of harm. Preventing trip and fall accidents is expected of the owners of property, and anybody hired to conduct upkeep of the property.
Some of the individuals throughout Brooklyn who may have a responsibility to prevent slip, trip and fall accidents include:
- Business owners
- Building managers
- Local government
- Home and apartment owners
Trip and fall accidents may be a risk to all New Yorkers who encounter dangerous conditions. Still, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) has conducted data reports that show that some groups may be especially susceptible to suffering injury or death because of a trip and fall accident. These groups include:
- The elderly or older adults
- The visually impaired
- Those who have physical impairments or disabilities
Tripping hazards can catch anybody by surprise and cause serious personal injuries if the trip results in a fall. It is the responsibility of every property owner and manager to recognize and rectify tripping hazards in a timely fashion.
Common Causes of Trip and Fall Accidents
New York City is home to more walkers than most other areas of the country, and this means that the city may pose an enormous risk of tripping and falling. Keep an eye out for some of the most common causes of trip and fall accidents, which can include:
- Unmarked changes in the elevation of a walking surface
- Cracks in the sidewalk or other walking surfaces
- The presence of wires, boxes, or other clutter in walkways
- A lack of handrails or other fall-prevention equipment
- The buildup of ice and snow on walkways during wintertime
- Construction equipment or materials that fall onto walkways
These are only a few of the many slip, trip, and fall hazards that could cause a trip and fall or slip and fall accident. Your fall and injury or the fall of your loved one and their injury or death may have resulted from a preventable hazard, in which case you could call Dansker & Aspromonte Associates to discuss your case.
Property Owners’ and Managers’ Responsibility to Prevent Trips and Falls
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) details the practices that employers should follow to prevent trip and fall or slip and fall accidents. These actions can be reasonably expected of all property managers and owners in New York City.
Some steps that landlords, business owners, and others in charge of property should take to prevent tripping and falling accidents include:
- Routinely inspecting the property for hazards that could lead to an individual’s tripping and falling
- Providing an alert, such as a warning sign or eye-catching tape, that warns of a hazard
- Cleaning spills in a timely fashion
- Providing basic safety equipment, such as handrails, in areas where tripping may likely occur, such as a staircase
- Alerting people who enter a property to changes in a floor’s elevation that could lead to tripping
- Ensuring that walkways are always free of clutter
If a property owner or manager failed to take these or other safety precautions, and you or a loved one suffered personal injuries as a result, you may have a case for compensation based on negligence.
Call our team at Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 for a free consultation.
Let a Brooklyn Trip and Fall Injury Lawyer Pursue Compensation
Trip and fall accidents that result in injury or death may lead to:
- The loss of enjoyment of life
- The loss of financial support for a spouse and children
- Being incapacitated for an indefinite period of time
- Being unable to work
If you are dealing with a serious injury or the death of a loved one and would like legal assistance, a trip and fall attorney can help you with your personal injury claim or lawsuit. An attorney can:
- Conduct a free consultation in person or over the phone, whichever is easiest for you
- Collect evidence that is relevant to your case, including any photographs, video, witness testimony, public records, or any other proof that negligence was a likely or definite cause of your personal injuries
- File your case in court as soon as possible, in accordance with the statutes of limitation for personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits
- Conduct any investigations that are necessary for your case
- Consult any experts whose testimony could benefit your case
- Handle every legal responsibility required to successfully complete your lawsuit
- Advise you at trial or in settlement negotiations
- Defend your rights
Your injury attorney will fight for all the compensation to which you are entitled. Such compensation could include coverage for:
- Permanent and debilitating injuries
- Lost income
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
You may be entitled to additional compensation depending on the circumstances of your trip and fall accident and injuries.
Contact a Trip and Fall Injury Attorney for Help Today
We are available to serve as your legal advocate should you choose to bring a claim or lawsuit based on negligence. Call the personal injury law firm of Dansker & Aspromonte Associates today at (212) 732-2929 to speak about your case. The consultation is free, and your time to make a claim is running so do not wait to call.